Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help recovering old photos of of old computer  (Read 2158 times)

reddsonya

help recovering old photos of of old computer
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:12:17 AM »
I was digging thru the closet and came across an old computer of mine. I realized it has a couple of hundred old photos saved on it that I do not have copies of anywhere else. I am trying to transfer the photos to my new computer but I cannot get  the old computer to recognize a thumb drive or the floppy drive and it has no burner. Its a really old system using  win98SE. I am getting a message at start up that says "windows\system\crtdll.dll file is missing. I would reinstall the missing file but cannot find a win98 disk. Could this message be the cause of the floppy drive not working or not recognizing the thumb drive? Is there any other way to maybe transfer the photos without the older computer having internet service? Thanks for your help .

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: help recovering old photos of of old computer
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:23:19 AM »
Win98se does not have a driver for usb devices.  Your old system will not be able to recognise your thumb drive unless you have a driver which can be installed.

Can you remove the hard drive from the old computer and connect it to a more modern system?  Either:
(a) slave it and copy the files or
(b) connect it as an external drive using an adapter?

Crtdll.dll is part of Windows and can be downloaded from many internet sites.

Welcome to the CH forums.

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: help recovering old photos of of old computer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »
Hooking that drive up as a slave drive in a working machine is your best bet as Dusty suggested...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "