Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video issues (Upgraded Video Card)  (Read 3520 times)

Nino76

Topic Starter

Starter

Video issues (Upgraded Video Card)
    « on: May 01, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »
    Hi. First post here. I looked around for the answer to my question, but didn't find anything that seemed to answer this for me. I apologize in advance for the length of this, but I want to be as clear as possible...

I HAD X2 XFX 7950 GX2 card (SLI), I sent them back to the company because they were screwing up. Once everything was said and done, they sent me back 1 8800GTS 640mb DDR3 card. (Sent 2, claim 1 made it to them (Long story for another time if curious).

Well, I get the 1 card. No driver CD or card manual included (OEM card maybe? Punks), just a paper explaining where to get the drivers off of their website. I insert the card. Power up, and I instantly get a constant, annoying beep. Shut it down and ask around. Was told by several people to look for a 4-pin connector because the card had an on-board fan, and needed extra juice to run it. I found that their was only a 6-pin connection coming off of the card itself, inform the people helping me (Sent them a pic of it on my phone as well). They said that was probably it. connect it to a connection coming from my PS (680W PS btw). Did so, powered back up. This time their was no beep, BUT...

When it started booting, I could see a picture, but it was pixelated and flashing. Made it difficult to see. Once it got to my homescreen, it flashed out until all I could see was a blue screen. Couldn't do anything at this point. Now I figure it is a driver issue (Who knows what else as well). I can't see it long enough to uninstall the old drivers and card info, and get to XFX's site to get the new drivers. People keep telling me to use the MB's on-board video to be able to do that, but I can't find a connector to hook my monitor up to in order to do so. MB is ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe. Their looks like what appears to be an old-school monitor connector there, but as I said, my monitor won't connect to it. I suppose their is an adapter I can get at radioshack or something?

HELP a computer idiot PLEASE! Anticipating AoC's release in 19 days and can't get the computer to work lol. /sigh... Thanks a TON in advance, and again, I apologize for the long windedness.
    « Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:44:50 AM by Nino76 »

Nino76

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Video issues
      « Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:16:52 AM »
      1 other question. Does it matter the new video card says DDR3, yet I have DDR2 Corsair memory? Was wondering if that could be a factor on top of the other issue?  ???

Nino76

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Video issues (Upgraded Video Card)
        « Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 09:34:34 AM »
        Anyone have any advise on this matter for me? Please?  :'(

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:06:02 PM »
          first off, it seems recently that many people seem to believe this is a live chat room. this is clearly NOT a live chat room; it is a forum and it is accustomed in a forum to expect to wait at least 24 hrs before a response. you do not need to reply an hour later like we are ignoring you. i happen to have a life outside of this forum and i am not here 24hrs a day and neither are the others. now onto your problem...

follow these steps to get your computer working...

1. boot in safe mode. do this by repeatedly hitting the F8 key while the comp is booting. you will see a menu, select "Safe Mode."

2. go into control panel and uninstall your drivers for your old card.

3. reboot your PC and load windows normally. the video will look ugly at this point because you still dont have drivers for your new card.

4. download and install the drivers for your new card.

5. reboot your PC.

your done.

1 other question. Does it matter the new video card says DDR3, yet I have DDR2 Corsair memory?

no that does not matter.

People keep telling me
          Was told by several people

who are these people?? i would not trust them with computer related questions.

Nino76

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:54:52 PM »
            Look, I'm use to a very active website where their are always people on. I also HAVE been using a live chat room recently quite a bit (For work), so I'm use to quick responses. Speaking of work...6 days a week and have limited windows of time to look here and get anything done about the issue at hand  :o. My apologizes if it bothers you or anyone else.

Anyhow, I have been trying to do the f8 thing. I have had it to the menu a couple of times, but with all the flashing blocks, it's tough to navigate. Is it..

Normal do to no drivers for the new card? Because old drivers are still enabled possibly? Card was damaged during shipping (Not normal for flashing period)?  ???

This isn't coming from what others told me. It's just me trying to understand this so I can start learning to fix my rig, like I did with how to fix cars lol. However, my previous post WAS from what some friends were telling me. When your as in the woods as I am with this stuff, anyone else sounds like they know more  :-[  :-\.

homer

Expert
              « Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 09:14:06 PM »
              Anyhow, I have been trying to do the f8 thing. I have had it to the menu a couple of times, but with all the flashing blocks, it's tough to navigate

i have never heard of this issue before. there should be no conflict between the drivers and the card yet because the drivers have not loaded up. the problem with the flashing blocks has to be related to something else. is the video card secured in place? is it correctly attached to the PCI-E X16 bus? is the supplementary power connector securely fastened? i would pull out the card and reinsert it into the PCI-E X16 bus. see if that gets rid of the blocks. if it doesnt, i recommend cleaning the PCI-E X16 bus with some compressed air (not from your lungs). if that still doesnt work, i recommend pulling it out and trying it in another computer. see if it does the same thing. if it does, its faulty.