Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: low disc space question  (Read 4507 times)

todduto

low disc space question
« on: February 04, 2005, 08:08:54 AM »
I keep getting a pop up message that i am out of disc space on my presario_RP D drive. This drive is on approx 4GB & is only listed as the Recovery Partition. When I try to to disc clean up, no space is freed up on it. My drive C has over 60GB of free space on it.  Why do I keep getting the low disc space message for the RP drive? Is there some reason that maybe the C drive is not being recognized or isn't the default? I'm just confused as to what the RP_D is for and why i've started getting these messages.  thanks for your help!

Computer_Commando

Re: low disc space question
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »
I suspect your D-drive is dedicated to Windows XP system restore points.  Read this:  http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000589.htm
Restore points can be deleted by turning off System Restore, reboot, turn it back on and reboot again.

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 02:22:24 PM »
    Hello how are you? If you also have Windows98 on your system then by setting "Show all files" in start>settings>folder option and then click the view tab, you can see a hidden folder "System Volume Information" on each drive you have. This folder contains the restore points of Windows XP so that you can go back to any previous state and also some other kind of information. If you delete this folder on the drive on which windows XP is running then it may be too dangerous so I wont ask you to do so. One thig you can do this is to tranfer the data from drive having low space to other i-r having 60 GB space and also turrned OFF the System check points.
    By the way, why you did install windows XP on drive having less storage.!!!!
    Bye...:)
    Dur-E-Wahab
    do take care of you and others

todduto

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 07:20:54 PM »
    hey, thanks for your responses!  I don't have anything figured out yet, however, but maybe can offer some more helpful info.  I actually never installed XP to the D drive (4GB). This will sound crazy, but to my knowledge I've never even been aware of a D drive on this thing, just the 80 that came on it...honestly, i sware this thing has always been just one drive, the C.  I just noticed the D recently when I got the low disc space message, and now I wonder if an Iomega Hotburn CD-RW I got about the same time as the problems started could be the issue. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it at the time, but remember that after installing it that it initialized an "automatic back up" program....is there someway that it could have created the D drive & then directed XP and other stuff into it?  It's really strange....I notice that part of My Documents and other things are in the D drive, but also in the C drive. Anyway, maybe the "back up" utility got me messed up somehow.  I apologize for the rambling & lack of knowledge about this,  but really appreciate you taking the time to sort through it & help me out.  thanks!