Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disable cursor  (Read 3956 times)

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Disable cursor
    « on: May 02, 2008, 04:06:17 AM »
    XP Home SP.2

In a batch script I would like to echo a message onscreen and have nothing else showing.  Pause > Nul leaves a blinking cursor onscreen, is there any way of disabling (and re-enabling) the cursor from within a batch script?

Thanks

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
    Re: Disable cursor
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 05:41:38 AM »
    Probably not. There is a driver (ansi.sys) loadable thru your machine config file that can control many cursor functions, but hiding is not one of them. In addition, ansi.sys works only in the context of the MS-DOS prompt (command.exe).

You might try Google.

8)

Just curious but why are you playing Where's Waldo with the cursor?
    The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:09:27 PM »
      Quote from: Sidewinder
      Just curious but why are you playing Where's Waldo with the cursor?

It's just an appearance thing, I have brilliant blue background with bright white lettering and this darned cursor blinking, a real distraction. 

I've already looked at ANSI.SYS and a few others without success.

Thanks for responding.

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:40:42 PM »
        I was playing around with something similar a while back. I never got it totally worked out but maybe you can tweak it in. The following opens the JPG in "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" while the batch file waits in the background.(Picture with no cursor) The batch file waits until you close the viewer with the "X", and then continues.
        Code: [Select]
        start "" /wait /max "Test.jpg"
        If you get it working in full screen, please let me know. Thanks!  :)

Woodman

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »
          Thanks llmeyer1000 - this leaves the batch script running but what I want is to have the message in the script displayed without the cursor.  Even running something minimized doesn't seem to work.

If the cursor is a window I could run it Hidden in CMDOW but I don't know what name it would be...

Thanks again.