Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Weird Harware problem  (Read 3498 times)

anglosaxon

Weird Harware problem
« on: February 04, 2005, 10:02:04 PM »
Hi

So i brought my computer to a LAN party where we were gonna play this game called World of Warcraft. I set up my computer and everything runs fine after installing the game i think that I should get some
more ram into my computer before play.  I borrow a stick of 512 DDR ram and attempt to place it in my computer. Little do i realise that the motherboard only fits the older stuff (PCI?)  So I actually manage to fit the DDR ram in and then I startup. The computer gets power, the light under the cd tray flashes a few times, then the computer remains stuck in limbo. The screen recieves nothing and the light flashes on and off, showing it has no signal, but also the computer doesn't go into its classic startup sequence (i can tell from the monotone whiring of the fans and my dimm power light and unflashing 'thinking light' (the one right by the power light that blips red whenever the computer is crunching something). I take out the ram and start and the same thing occurs. I move around the ram, and chech for bad connections, i do this several times then give up. Im not sure what the problem is, as an aside i had broken one of the two side clasps where the ram goes when trying to fit in DDR. Can you help me? Is this a problem with the hardrive (i can't see how it would be), the ram (possible but i tried all the combos, even with just a single stick) or could it be the motherboard
(i think most likely as i applies quite a bit of pressure trying to get the DDR in)?

Thanks for all your time
Anglosaxon

wrwss

Intermediate
  • PITTSBURGH,PA.
    Re: Weird Harware problem
    « Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 10:11:39 PM »
    Sure sounds like you broke the motherboard trying to force the wrong type of ram into it.Nothing else could be to blame!
    WRWSS

anglosaxon

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 10:14:54 PM »
    yeah thanks, does anyone else have a more definate answer from me. Though i trust anyone willing to help, i would like to hear from a senior member

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 07:05:02 AM »
    Hi there! After looking at your description on the issue.... I have two questions for you.... First, what type of RAM is this? (PC133, etc.) Also, how much RAM can your computer "take" at the maximum? You need to make sure that it is compatible first, and that your computer can handle it... Keep in touch...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

wrwss

Intermediate
    • PITTSBURGH,PA.
      « Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 07:25:58 AM »
      Consider the obvious,older computers do not take ddr,you can tell by the pin configuration of the ram.If you had to force it into the slot and actually broke the retaining tabs,something is wrong.If you removed all the ram and installed the original ram you had in it and it still dont work then suspect the motherboard is broken.
      WRWSS

anglosaxon

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 07:41:29 AM »
      The ram in my computer is PC133 and my motherboard is an Intel D845HV which can hold 3GB of memory

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 09:08:17 AM »
      Let's get this straight.   You forced 184-pin DDR memory chip into a 168-pin SDRAM memory slot.  You jammed the square peg into the round hole and the hole isn't round anymore.

You killed your motherboard and probably the DDR memory you borrowed.  You won't be invited to LAN parties anymore.
      « Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 09:09:37 AM by Computer_Commando »

anglosaxon

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 05:59:20 AM »
      Wow, I sure hope I didn't screw up his RAM. Yeah, I took my computer to my local repair place and it was the motherboard, thanx for everything guys, but it looks like im just gonna have to shell out $700 for some serious upgrading.

Cya Around
      Anglosaxon