Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem With Printing  (Read 3378 times)

MaiBeadz

Topic Starter

Problem With Printing
    « on: May 05, 2008, 09:08:09 PM »
    Hi - I'm new with this HTML business, and just recently volunteered to help with the website for our non-profit community association.  Our website is defined as a collection of three frames.  Everything works well, except during printing.  It either only prints the content of one of the frames (leftmenu.htm referenced below), which consists only of navigational links, or prints the content of each frame on a separate sheet of paper.  I would like to have everything printed as one document exactly as it appears on screen.  I tested with both Firefox and Internet Explorer.  I don't know what causes this problem, but I suspect it has something to do with frames.  Am I on the right track?  Please help!

Here is the source code for the index.htm file:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Garden Villas</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<frameset rows="201,*" frameborder="no" border="0" framespacing="0">
      <frame src="header.htm" name="Header" scrolling="NO" noresize id="Header" >
      <frameset cols="182,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">
        <frame src="leftmenu.htm" name="leftmenu" scrolling="NO" noresize id="leftmenu">
        <frame src="GVdocs/intro.htm" name="main" id="main">
      </frameset>
    <noframes>This is Garden Villas Web Site</noframes>
    </frameset>
    </html>

Astoria

Intermediate

Re: Problem With Printing
      « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:56:30 PM »
      You're completely right, that's one of the evil's of frame usage.
      Usually only the frame that's in focus will be printed.

I know it's not much help, but see it as a good recommendation:

STAY AWAY FROM FRAMES!!!!!

There are literally tons of free single page CSS layouts on the web (just go a google on "free CSS templates").

Here's a read about frames:

http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
      if you really want to use frames, there is a solution. Create a print button in each page that will show a printer friendly page.

MaiBeadz

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 12:15:51 AM »
        Thanks for the information and all your advice.  Well, the fix is not going to be as easy as I had hoped, but at least I won't be going down the path of thinking that something is wrong with the frame set-up.

This is a cool forum.  I'll be a regular visitor from now on.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 04:54:43 AM »
          I think cause you have one frame selected over the other an its only seeing that one,  I would just open it an try printing right off but I suppose thats what you are doing.  I recommened that you use dreamweaver to do this if your not already cause doing it in notepad is a pain.  Also, you can setup tables to look like frames if you dont really need to use them.  Best of luck.   ;D
          Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

michaewlewis

Intermediate
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Expert
          « Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:37 AM »
          This is a cool forum.  I'll be a regular visitor from now on.

Welcome aboard! :)