Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: xp over vista  (Read 4164 times)

RAGS

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

xp over vista
    « on: May 07, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »
    hi guy's, my new p.c. has vista on it i'd like to install xp home on instead, my question is, do i need to uninstall vista and if so how do i do that, or can i instal xp over vista, your help would be most apprieciated!

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: xp over vista
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:09:03 PM »
    What is the make and model of the computer?

mcxeb52!

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 04:14:16 PM »
    just get a windows cd and load to the cd on the bootup. it'll take you all through the install process.

just be sure to backup any important files you have IF you were already using vista and when you install, you just format your drive.

RAGS

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 04:24:35 PM »
      hi, the p.c. has been built for me using a intel celeron 3.2 ghz dual core cpu and has 2 gb ram, is that info of any use to you?

RAGS

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 04:26:35 PM »
        hi, the p.c. has been built for me using a intel celeron 3.2 ghz dual core cpu and has 2 gb ram, is that info of any use to you?
        will this method just over install the vista then? or does it erase vista off the harddrive?

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:35:59 PM »
        just get a windows cd and load to the cd on the bootup. it'll take you all through the install process.

just be sure to backup any important files you have IF you were already using vista and when you install, you just format your drive.

This won't work...it will stall at the XP install.
        Consider your advice before sharing it.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mcxeb52!

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 11:52:46 PM »

This won't work...it will stall at the XP install.
        Consider your advice before sharing it.

why is it not going to work? you just reformat your computer and install windows xp on it and in the middle of that installation, there should be an option that to reformat your hard drive which erases all the vista stuff. That's all it takes and why would it stall at the XP install unless the cd/dvd drive can't read the cd at all.....

http://www.informationweek.com/news/windows/microsoft_news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205101355

That link also shows the step by step xp installation you do if you want to get rid of windows vista and it's the same as I mentioned.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 01:43:34 AM »

Quote from: mcxeb52
        why is it not going to work? you just reformat your computer and install windows xp on it and in the middle of that installation, there should be an option that to reformat your hard drive which erases all the vista stuff. That's all it takes and why would it stall at the XP install unless the cd/dvd drive can't read the cd at all.....

You must be more precise when giving advice...  The site you linked clearly states
        Make sure you have a Windows XP Pro CD and a valid activation key.
          To 'Just get a windows cd' will not work.   There are major problems when downgrading from a machine built expressly for Vista, for example hardware drivers for XP may not be available because they have not been written.  The first drivers required will, of course, be for SATA drives which are required at the start of the OS install if SATA drives are in use.  Careful, very careful, preparation must be done before making the decision to give it a go.

Here is one of the responses on the linked site:
        commented on Jan 23, 2008 4:03:29 PM
        I love how this article tries to put the warm and fuzzy spin on the old trash and dash. Backup your data, trash your system, then run around like a mad man trying to find all your installation disks so you can have a functioning computer again! His follow up article will be titled "10 Reasons to Downgrade to Windows ME!"

For anyone contemplating the dumping of Vista in favor of XP I advise caution.  Whilst not saying it cannot be done take every precaution especially if Vista came pre-installed, you might want to go back to Vista if the XP venture goes belly up.

Good luck.
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

RAGS

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 01:57:39 AM »
          well cheers guy!! there's some interesting views there, i'll let you know how i get on!

daniel1212

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:39:21 PM »
            I have been dual XP home with booting with Vista HB  for a year, and this works well. Here is a guide: http://www.msfn.org/board/How-to-make-XP-Vista-dual-boot-Indepen-t98982.html
            Grace and peace through Jesus

quaxo

Guru
              • Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »
            Also before doing this, make sure there are drivers available for your hardware for XP.