Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen  (Read 2279 times)

facelyss

Topic Starter

Starter

Black screen
    « on: May 07, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
    I've been having some weird problems with my computer. I booted from an Ubuntu boot disk just fine, the system ran and there were no problems. I left the room and the screen was black, presumably it went into a screen saver mode. When I went to wake it back up, the computer did not respond though all lights said everything was still running. The fan was running as well. So I figured it was just locked up and went to restart.

I tried to boot up again but now when I turn it on it won't boot up into Ubuntu or the previous OS of Windows. The fan will run like crazy and all the lights will be on, but I will only have a black screen. Nothing on it.

I've tried booting it with boot disks, I've tried booting it without. I can't get anything to show up on the screen, just black.

Please help me out...

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Black screen
    « Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 08:45:11 PM »
    Do you have another monitor you can try to hook up?
    Do you have another computer you can use to test the monitor in question?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

cryhelp

Hopeful
    • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
      « Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:11:34 PM »
      What JJ suggested is an excellent idea, just to be sure the Monitor is not bad.  Have you tried booting in Safe Mode?

"Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain

facelyss

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »
        I've tried the monitor on a different box and it runs just fine. As for safe mode, I can't get it to load anything, the farthest it will go is on. It will turn on then the screen is still black.

facelyss

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 08:01:23 PM »
          Hey everybody... I tried switching monitors instead of just running mine on a different computer, the new one made my computer boot up just fine. I don't know what's the deal with the old monitor, but oh well...

It works now. Thanks everybody!

cryhelp

Hopeful
          • Only the educated are free=Epictetus
            « Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:35:59 AM »
            That is great news and thanks for posting back. ;D
            "Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education"  Mark Twain