Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Formating the C drive in Windows 2000  (Read 4880 times)

Silencher

Topic Starter

Starter

Formating the C drive in Windows 2000
    « on: April 28, 2008, 07:47:06 PM »
    Hey all,

I'm a little new to messing with my computer, but I need to completely remove all data from the computer. Is there a way to format/re-format? I tried right clicking on the c-drive and formatting, but it gives me the error to close all disk utilities, I have no applications running.. so I'm not sure what to do.

If you could help, that would be great.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Formating the C drive in Windows 2000
    « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
    Welcome to the CH forums.

Change the bios boot sequence to boot from the cdrom first (if necessary) then boot from your Windows install cd and follow the on-screen prompts to delete/create partitions and format.

Good luck
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Silencher

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »
      Welcome to the CH forums.

Change the bios boot sequence to boot from the cdrom first (if necessary) then boot from your Windows install cd and follow the on-screen prompts to delete/create partitions and format.

Good luck

How do I change the bios boot sequence to do that? And I do not have the windows install CD any longer, is there another method?

Silencher

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »
        I basically just want to remove all the files on the computer w/o removing the operating system if I can help it.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:45:31 PM »
        I basically just want to remove all the files on the computer w/o removing the operating system if I can help it.

That's not what you asked for - your original post says
        I tried right clicking on the c-drive and formatting,  Is there a way to format/re-format?

You'll have to delete folder\files but be especially careful when deleting items in Documents and Settings and in Windows.

Good luck
        One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:26:11 AM »

The operating system is made of... guess what? Files! What you are proposing (removing everything except the operating system) is the same as formatting the disk and reinstalling the OS, then adding any necessary hardware drivers. One reason I can think of why you may be reluctant to do this is that you do not actually have a Windows install disk? If that is the reason, maybe you should think about getting one, because if your hard drive ever fails or gets corrupted, you're gonna be screwed!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:42:04 AM by Dias de verano »