Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton Ghost  (Read 3123 times)

Panda25

Topic Starter

Beginner
    Norton Ghost
    « on: May 09, 2008, 10:00:38 AM »
    Does anyone know of a way to ghost a system that is in a separate location?  I need to make an image of a system that is located pretty far away from where I am.  Is there a site someone could point me to with directions on how to do this?  I searched Symantec's site, but just couldn't seem to find what I was looking for.

Thanks!

hmar

Beginner

Re: Norton Ghost
      « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
      Try Acronis True image enterprise edition. You will need to be able to install it on the remote system, but then you can use Acronis to make the image and put it anywhere on the network.

Panda25

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:37:58 AM »
        Thank you for your reply.  So, there's no way to create an offsite image with Norton Ghost?  I work for a small company that doesn't really like to spend money unless it's absolutely necessary.    I looked up prices for this program and its not cheap.  I was kind of hoping I could do something with TCP/IP. Thank you, though.  Does anyone else have any ideas?

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 10:43:58 AM »
          Is there a reason you can't use RDP?

Panda25

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »
            Not to sound stupid or anything, but what is RDP and how could I use it to make a Ghost image of an offsite system?

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:29 AM »
            Not to sound stupid or anything, but what is RDP and how could I use it to make a Ghost image of an offsite system?

What is Google and how could I use it to find out information?

saf-beagle

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 01:36:03 AM »

RDP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

What is Google and how could I use it to find out information?

The tone makes the music.
              " Cognition and speech are directly related to intelligence, lying and fantasy"- S.F.

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 07:37:22 PM »
                If both computers are on the same network, (it works across remote subnets) you can use remote desktop to control the other computer. By sharing a folder on your harddrive, and your CDROM, you can use ghost from where you are.  Another possibility, if your networks aren't connected, would be to use a service like Logmein (http://www.logmein.com) which is free, but you will need someone with admin privileges to install logmein on the remote computer. Good luck.

Panda25

Topic Starter

Beginner
                  « Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 08:00:06 AM »
                  Dias de verano: 
                  There's no need for the negative implications.  I'm here trying to learn like everybody else.

hmar:  Thank you so much for all your useful information!  I think you're final post is what I'm looking for.  Thanks!

Dias de verano

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:43:43 AM »
                  Dias de verano: 
                  There's no need for the negative implications.  I'm here trying to learn like everybody else.

We are more  motivated on here to help those who show at least some effort to help themselves. If someone suggested I should use RDP, the first thing I would do is Google it. Not reply, "Er, what's that?"