Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Best way to get more hard disk space  (Read 2910 times)

SueBJ

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Best way to get more hard disk space
    « on: May 11, 2008, 07:02:02 AM »
    Hi,
    I am currently running windows XP but my pc only has 20gb of memory/space (old pc). My local disk (c drive) only has 3 GB of space left. I have done disk cleanups, removed old pragrams etc but I just really need more space.
    I was wondering what you suggest is the best way to go.
    I am not very savvy when it comes to opening up the case and putting things in there. A friend suggested purchasing an external hard drive which apparantly are quite reasonable in price. Is this a good option or am I better off taking my pc to a computer store and having them increase my GB's for me?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Best way to get more hard disk space
    « Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 09:02:17 AM »
    I'd bring it to a computer shop if you are doubting yourself and you have important data on it that is not backed up etc.

If you want more space safely, you could enable drive compression on the hard drive and gain more space....only downside is that all data has to decompress from its compressed state so it slows the computer down to gain the storage space.

Best option is to have someone migrate your data to a new larger HD, but if you dont want to spend any money and dont mind the computer slowing down, you can use drive compression which is very easy to turn on for more space.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
      I would get an external drive or an ide card that will allow your pc to have up to four drives.  Then you can just move what ever into the blank drive freeing your c.  Also if you dont feel like attempting that you could just burn it to cds.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »
      Do you know anyone who is adept at installing components ? ?
      This would save you the money a shop will charge.
      If you buy a larger drive and have someone install it they can just use the FREE utilities from the new drive manuf. site and "clone" the old smaller drive to the new one.
      This is a relatively simple process that would take under an hour or so...
      You could then format the old drive and use it for additional storage.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »
        Do you know anyone who is adept at installing components ? ?
        This would save you the money a shop will charge.
        If you buy a larger drive and have someone install it they can just use the FREE utilities from the new drive manuf. site and "clone" the old smaller drive to the new one.
        This is a relatively simple process that would take under an hour or so...
        You could then format the old drive and use it for additional storage.

Didn't think of that.  Also a good idea thanks Pat for posting it, probably would have remembered an posted it latter. 
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres