Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Toshiba Satellite wont recognize CD/DVD Drive when booted  (Read 2372 times)

talyn

Toshiba Satellite wont recognize CD/DVD Drive when booted
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
Hello, I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or not, but since it involved my D:\ drive I figured it's the best place to start.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A105, bought in July 2006. I have Windows XP, Norton Anti-virus, Ad-Aware, I only have a few added programs, as this computer was mostly used for homework when I was in college, and those are pretty much messengers and a few games.

I have had some problems with this computer in the past where it would overheat, and eventually just stopped booting up. That cleared up on its own (with some help from one of my dogs knocking it over) and until last week things have been fine.

Last week my computer stopped recognizing my DVD/CD drive. It doesn't show up in My Computer, or when I search for it. The strange thing though is that when I use my Express Media Player (allows me to play movies or music without booting up) the DVDs play normally.

It was working fine for the first three disks of House: Season 2, but it started having problems when I inserted The Last Samurai, and now it doesn't work for the House DVDs either. (Don't know if that's relevant, but I figure I'll mention it just in case.

When I insert a DVD, the drive makes noise and the light flashes, but then the light goes off and nothing happens

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Talyn

Computer_Hopeless

Beginner

• Plz pm me if you know how to transparentize this.
    Re: Toshiba Satellite wont recognize CD/DVD Drive when booted
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
    Maybe you should have your dog knock it over again...

On a more serious note, perhaps you should check to make sure the drive is still physically connected in all the right places along the line (or, if you're uncomfortable with cracking open your machine, have someone who is familiar with the inside of a computer do so).  Perhaps your dog loosened some plug that finally slipped off enough to be inconvenient.

Good luck, I hope the fix is that easy.

Oh, are your CDs and DVDs clean?
    "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."
                     - Mahatma Gandhi

"Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem."
                     - Josef Stalin

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced