Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: testing a power supply  (Read 5497 times)

hyperhedron

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Hilarity Ensues.
    testing a power supply
    « on: May 13, 2008, 01:23:15 AM »
    how would one test a power supply, to see if it works? i have no other computers to use it with, by the way.

The problem is that my computer suddenly stopped starting up. i press the power button, lights come on, power goes to all devices, fans start up, but the monitor does not come out of standby. I've checked the monitor, video card, and RAM, and they all seem to work. my dad suggested the power supply as a source of the problem, but i have no way of trying it on another computer. He suggested unplugging the motherboard plug, and testing all of the pins with a multimeter, but i'm not so clear on how to do that. any ideas?
    "question" is not an adequate topic name!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: testing a power supply
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:40:46 AM »
    Let Google be your guide.,..

Click here...

Take care when dealing with live power supplies.

Good luck.
    One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 04:13:06 PM »
    Instead of attempting to test the existing PSU a better method  is to borrow a known good one of the same wattage or greater and swap it into your machine...if it runs properly the test is over and you need a new PSU.
    The problem with most testers on the market is they won't do a test at full load which is what you need...unless you buy an expensive one.
    « Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:36:15 PM by patio »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
      Theres an easier way to find out what you need is a voltage meter an you take the one positive probe an stick it in the 4 pin connector of the power supply  an the negative probe an stick it in the other pin of the 4 pin connector.  I dont recemond doing this unless you know how to really do it.  Theres also a small device that will see if there is current but I'm not sure what it is have to get back latter.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:35:52 PM »
      This is not a load test and is testing only one component of the PSU....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 05:40:34 PM »
        sorry fogot to mention.  I didnt know that I thought if there was current flowing that it was good.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

hyperhedron

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Hilarity Ensues.
          « Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:47:54 PM »
          i dont catually have another psu of any kind of similar wattage, so that's out.

squall: when you say 4 pin conector, do you mean the Molex connectors for CDROMs/ the like?

In terms of small device, a multimeter is all i've got.

one more question: how does one start a power supply without plugging it into the mobo?

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
          « Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:00:13 AM »
          one more question: how does one start a power supply without plugging it into the mobo?

It's shown in the link I already posted - short pin 14 to any common pin (the cable on pin 14 is usually yellow green, the cable on common pins is usually black). Review the link here...

Quote from: Homer
          usually yellow? its most commonly coloured green.

Homer is of course correct - the DC on cable color is green.  Thank you for correcting my error Homer...

Good luck again..

« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:14:47 AM by Dusty »
          One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

homer

Expert
            « Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 12:18:45 AM »

by taking a paper clip, or something similiar, and shorting out the green wire to any black wire on the main 20 (or 24) pin mobo connector. dont worry about getting shocked by touching the bare metal on the paper clip when shorting the terminals, there isnt enough voltage there to pierce the skin.

homer

Expert
              « Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 12:22:59 AM »
              the cable on pin 14 is usually yellow

usually yellow? its most commonly coloured green.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 03:21:33 AM »
                I think so but I just call it the four pin connector, I don't recommend a paper clip, Rubber will neutralize the current.  The thing is you have to test it with out it being plugged in to anything.  Then I would set it up to the PC an start it an see how low the levels drop.

homer

Expert
                  « Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:59 AM »
                  I don't recommend a paper clip, Rubber will neutralize the current.

what are you talking about?

hyperhedron

Topic Starter

Intermediate
                  • Hilarity Ensues.
                    « Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 12:15:08 AM »
                    I don't recommend a paper clip, Rubber will neutralize the current.

what are you talking about?
                    he's talking about a paperclip covered with plastic, i assume

The thing is you have to test it with out it being plugged in to anything.  Then I would set it up to the PC an start it an see how low the levels drop.

when you say without being plugged into anything, do you mean without a mains connection? I know that it is probably a silly question, seeing that you can't test it without power running to it but i'd rather be sure.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 02:47:41 AM »
                      No rubber so that there isnt a chance of being shoot acrossed the room.  Know I mean into the board at all.  You need something to give the power power but thats all.

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 03:04:43 AM »
                        squall, i highly recommend you become further educated in electronics before making statements that are totally incorrect. you will not get harmed by touching 12 volts with your bare hands.