Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Switching from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional SP2  (Read 2417 times)

DMiller

Hi!

I work for a small nonprofit that runs almost exclusively on donated computers.  We recently had a donation of a laptop with Windows XP Home Edition.  All of the computers on our network run on XP Professional SP2, so I tried installing this software.  I was informed (by the computer) that our XP Professional version is older than the XP Home version, so it will not let me install.  I am also unable to uninstall the XP Home version -- when I go to Change/Remove Programs, the operating system is not shown.  Help!

hmar

Beginner

Re: Switching from Windows XP Home to Windows XP Professional SP2
    « Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 02:45:46 PM »
    Boot from your XP Pro disk and reformat the drive, than install.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »
    Actually he may have to use the Pro to remove the partition and re-create it...otherwise he may get the same error message.
    DMiller that XPPro CD should boot automatically. Insert it and shut down not restart. When you get to the options window you will be given a set of choices select delete partition C: and let it finish. Then re-create it and run the Setup portion again and it should run.
    More Details...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:52 AM »
      if the laptop does not boot from the disk you may need to change the bios settings so that it boots from the disk drive last