Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SERIOUS laptop problem. Has anyone heard of this happening?!  (Read 2125 times)

RogerTullingstone

I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me with this problem.

My Dell Inspiron 9400 was never able to charge its battery so i always ran it off of AC power.
Thinking it may have been my power adaptor i replaced it with a universal power adaptor.
In my frustration at it not working i increased the voltage of the universal adaptor thinking it may solve the problem (I set it to 20.5 instead of 19.5V).
It did not solve the problem but instead must have shorted it (slightly) because the computer will now not run off of AC power unless there is a charged battery in it.
So what i have to do to run it off AC power is charge my battery on a friends laptop and put it into my own.
When i check the battery status it says something crazy like 9265 hours remaining.
It runs off AC power but the battery dwindles down bit by bit even though i always have it plugged in resulting in me having to remove the battery and charge it in a friends when it runs out!
My laptop at the moment is without a charged battery and i cant get hold of a dell laptop to my charge my battery off.
Im leaving the country on Friday so I need to be able to fix this.

Is there anything i can do to solve this problem possibly by doing something to some internal component? (I know a fair bit about the inside of my laptop)
Can anyone help me? It would be GREATLY appreciated