Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Any suggestions --Laptop Toshiba Tecra CPU 0%  (Read 2081 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Any suggestions --Laptop Toshiba Tecra CPU 0%
« on: May 15, 2008, 12:48:20 PM »
I have a Toshiba Tecra Laptop with a 1.5 Ghz Pentium M CPU and it posts correctly and starts windows and about 5 minutes into operation the system will lock up but not completely. You can hit CTRL + ALT + DELETE and get into the task manager and check out everything, but strangely the CPU utilization is at 0% across the board for all running processes ( even when sorted ). Makes no sense that the system can be at 0% and the mouse pointer was still active. But the windows OS is pretty much worthless at this point, you cant open or close anything, but task manager is able to open.

I am guessing that the 0% is a false indication of actual CPU for the fact that the CPUs fan is roaring hot with heat out the side where the cpu vent is. This vent by the way is not obstructed and blades on the heatsink are clear of lint etc.

I initially thought it was a Windows corruption issue, so I popped in a Knoppix Live Linux bootable CD and started with that and it loaded Knoppix fine and about 5 minutes later Knoppix was locking up and the CPU was roaring hot with fan at full speed.

Nothing changed with this laptop, just one day it started doing this and I am not sure as to why. How could a CPU overheat with the fan full speed roaring out heat??? If the CPU was shot, shouldnt it fail to run earlier on than to cook even with the fan full speed and air rushing out of the side of the computer as hot as a hair dryer???

Thanks!

Accessless

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Any suggestions --Laptop Toshiba Tecra CPU 0%
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »
Laptops are good at breaking fans, and PC's are great hovers. They pick up lots of dust and block their airways. Have you tried cleaning out the fans and heat sinks (particulaly the CPU related fan and heat sink).