Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Right-Click = XP Freeze  (Read 2909 times)

Kizah

Topic Starter

Right-Click = XP Freeze
    « on: May 17, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »
    I am running XP (professional, I believe) on a Dell computer that up to this point has had zero problems.

Now, when I right-click on a file (seems to only happen with files) and go to choose rename or delete or properties or something, my pointer sticks on Send To and won't budge.

If I wait it out, things will unfreeze after about 90 seconds and if I Ctrl-Alt-Del and try to end, that will work after about 30 seconds or so.

In the past few days I have reinstalled Windows twice (maybe a bad move, I don't know), went back to a restore point and installed and uninstalled (to varying ends), the following:

Ad-Aware
    Spybot
    AVG
    Avast
    Several fonts

Any idea what the problem is and why it sticks on the Send To option?  I hope I gave enough information, but if I didn't please let me know.  Thank you in advance for your help.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Right-Click = XP Freeze
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
    How large is the fonts folder ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kizah

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
      I only have the basic fonts in my font folder, but I have other fonts in another folder...probably about 100 or so (I used to have over 5,000 and everything worked fine so it's not that).  The right-click thing happens with ANY file that has a send-to option...that's where it gets stuck.

SevenLZ

Rookie
        « Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »
        The problem is with a device at one of the locations in the send to folder. This usually happens with some slow response device such as a floppy drive, but almost never for 90 seconds. It sounds to me like one of your devices is malfunctioning. Let me explain.

When you open the "Send To" on the right click menu for a file, it contains a list of locations (commonly things like Desktop, C: drive, Shared Documents, Floppy Drive, etc). This list can contain various locations depending on your configuration. As part of the display operation for the menu, windows attempts to obtain an icon for the device. The devices icon is determined by what media currently resides in the device (IE a cd may have it's own icon, as sometimes may a floppy disk). When windows queries the status of the device, it is responding slowly, inapropriately, or not at all, causing windows to stop working while it waits for a response from the device.

What are the storage devices attached to your system? This includes USB storage locations and CD drives, as well as devices that you may have to access over the network.
        I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricasie, or a ragoust.