Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Install MP 10  (Read 1945 times)

dickerson

Install MP 10
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:16:43 AM »
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002/service pack 2
256 MB of RAM
Explorer 6

I was told I needed MP 10 to receive video streaming.  I had MP 11.  Followed directions and removed MP 11 - acquired MP 10 setup.  When I try to download MP 10, I get error message, "This version of Windows Technology is incompatible with this version of Windows."  I think my computer meets all the specifications except RAM.  The specs recommend 512 RAM.  Is this the problem?  If so, how do I increase RAM?   

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Install MP 10
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:30:22 AM »
    I'm assuming that MP is Windows Media Player.

The software should install if the minimum requirements are met. 

To increase RAM you need to purchase compatible RAM and install it. 

But let's go back a step or 4. Window Media Player 11 will play streaming video.  (If you think about it, does it really make sense that basic functionality would be removed from a media player when a new version is released?  [Nope, not even for Micro$oft.])  There was probably an issue with some settings in your web browser or with the video you were attempting to view. 
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Install MP 10
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:35:09 AM »
    Just to make sure, are you downloading WMP from THIS site?

Although I don't think the RAM is the problem here, I would suggest upgrading it depending on how long you will keep your current computer.
    If you're planning on replacing it any time soon, I wouldn't bother upgrading the RAM but if you are planning on keeping your current computer for a while (maybe the next few years) I would suggest getting more RAM.  ;)