Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: what software/hardware required to make cd/mp3 from tape recorder cassette  (Read 3212 times)

KARTIK PRASHAD

I wish to make cd/mp3  from tape recorder cassette, what software/hardware at low cost.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
I've used Polderbits before for this need of cassette to digital format...

http://www.polderbits.com/?ref=adword1

You can use just about any computer with a microphone jack on the sound card/integrated sound and a stereo phono jack between walkman and PC or stereo and PC.

Only thing that you will have to really set up is the volume level for the recorder. If the volume is too high, it will saturate the recording and sound crappy, but if you have the volume level just right, you wont see any clipping at the maximum range of the recoding level and everying will turn out nice. You will want to set it as high as possible without clipping to remove a HISSS noise.

Good Luck

Eg0Death

Apprentice

If you have a LOT of cassettes you might be interested in this:
    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/SearchDetail.asp?productID=10172

It fits into an empty 5.25" drive bay. 
    I've never used one so I can't speak from experience.

The following is my super cheap method:

Cassette Player
    audio cable with 3.5mm male connectors on both ends. 
    plug one end of the cable into the cassette player's line out or headphone jack and the other into the microphone or line in jack on the computer. 
    Record the audio with your preferred free software. 

This is a rather time consuming method because you will have to manually stop the recording between songs.  I've copied a few individual songs this way but not an entire cassette tape collection.
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?