Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Source Issue?  (Read 5009 times)

mickeymg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Power Source Issue?
    « on: May 20, 2008, 12:40:38 PM »
    I typically leave my PC on all the time.  I came home today and it was off.  I checked the cords, surge protector etc - no issues.  I ended up having to hit the switch on the back of the PC and then turn it on for it to work.  It booted up but was extremely loud.  I was running through trying to burn some files to disk, after about 5 minutes the PC turned off again (no warning).  We had the power source replaced a few years ago I'm thinking we need to replace it again?  If so, how hard is it to replace ourselves - can we just trace each wire and plug it in accordingly?  If it does need to be replaced, what should we know about brands etc?  Is there any compatibility issues as there could be with other components?

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Power Source Issue?
      « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
      You'll want to be sure your replacement puts out as much or more power.  Try following this link and entering your system specs.  http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
      That site (newegg.com) is also a good place to buy a replacement (if you're in the U.S.). 

Replacement isn't especially difficult.  Tracing the wire and plugging in accordingly should do it.  You'll want to be sure the replacement has the proper plugs for your hardware.  (AGP or PCI-Express video; most SATA hard drives require a particular plug for power).
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

mickeymg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 01:01:26 PM »
        So does your answer mean it does sound like the power supply again?  Thanks for the info!

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 01:30:32 PM »
          Yes, I am inclined to believe the power supply is POSSIBLY the problem. (I think I jumped the gun and just started answering your questions. :)) Can you tell if the "loud" you mentioned is coming from the power supply?

You could also buy an inexpensive power supply tester at Best Buy, Circuit City or the like.  If the power supply tests as good you can return the tester without much hassle.  You probably won't have much luck returning an opened power supply.
          Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

mickeymg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
            Are there other things you think may POSSIBLY be the problem?

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 02:27:13 PM »
            Could also point to the CPU overheating. Where is the noise coming from?

mickeymg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »
              Actually, after opening it up, the noise is coming from the little fan that is NOT a part of the power supply but on the MB.  When I touch the fan casing the noise stops (something is vibrating).  Could it be the noise and power issue are not related?  Also, the other thing I don't understand...  Why do I have to turn the power supply swith off and then on again to get my pc to boot when I hit the power button?
              « Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 03:15:59 PM by mickeymg »

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »
                Sounds like a possible ill balanced fan or something isn't secured Right
                Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

mickeymg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »
                  I can't imagine that an ill balanced fan would cause the original problem, would it?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »
                    Not the original but a new one you said it was making loud noises
                    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

mickeymg

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 03:25:05 PM »
                      The fan is the original (about 6yrs old).  The power supply & HD were new 2 years ago.  The noise is something that is new today along with the power issue... 

Crafty

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 03:41:19 PM »
                      This fan you talk about is it the Cpu fan making the noise? A computer shutting down like this often points to either the Psu, Cpu or Heatsink fan.

What is the Temp of your Cpu can you monitor this before it shutsdown?

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 03:50:52 PM »
                        Same Idea that I was having.  its like you phyic

docgoc

Starter

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »
                          I'm new here, and not sure I can just add my problem to this post, but it's almost the same thing. I leave my computer on all the time, too. Today my computer (running win 98) just shut itself down, as if I had gone through shutting windows down. Then it wouldn't restart - like there's no power. So I thought it might be the power supply, and replaced it with another power supply from a similar computer. I could get it started except now the monitor says "please check connection". I try another monitor, but it says the same thing. Swapped out the video card too, no help.

Any idea what the problem might be? Could it be this "A computer shutting down like this often points to either the Psu, Cpu or Heatsink fan." If so, what's a Psu? Thanks.

Crafty

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 04:20:58 PM »
                          Psu (power supply unit) Did you install the driver for the Graphics card when you swapped it over? Would best to start your own thread really!!