Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shut off, no power??  (Read 2258 times)

docgoc

Topic Starter

Starter

Computer shut off, no power??
    « on: May 20, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »
    Today my computer (running win 98) just shut itself down, as if I had gone through shutting windows down. Then it wouldn't restart - like there's no power. So I thought it might be the power supply, and replaced it with another power supply from a similar computer. I could get it started except now the monitor says "please check connection". I try another monitor, but it says the same thing. Swapped out the video card too, no help. (We didn't install the graphics card, as we couldn't see anything on the screen.)

Any ideas?

Crafty

Re: Computer shut off, no power??
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 04:30:22 PM »
    What Graphics are these and what Psu did you buy?

docgoc

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
      As I said, I couldn't install the driver for the graphics card, since I couldn't see anything on the screen.

The psu was from another computer we had, not new.

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:38:47 PM »
      Click on the link below and follow the steps. Let us know if it works!!

http://www.playtool.com/pages/safemode/safemode.html
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 04:53:56 PM by Crafty »

docgoc

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 05:19:00 PM »
        Thank you for your quick response. I'm going to keep that information, but my friend who also repairs our computers, just came by with a computer we can install our hard drive into. This is a work computer that holds all of our jobs and we needed to get up and running asap. It may be a few different things that went on it at the same. Fortunately, it wasn't the hard drive....this time. Unfortunately, the software we use needs win 98. If we upgrade our computers, we need to buy new software and we can't afford to that at this time.

I'm glad I came upon this site, and will certainly bookmark it for future reference.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:29:49 PM »
        There's a good chance that Win98 program will run fine in compatibility mode on a newer machine all the way up to Vista...
        Ask your friend who does repairs if he's familiar with this and if so have him test the program on a new machine...
        If he doesn't know about it post back and we'll give you the details.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "