Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezing  (Read 2626 times)

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

Computer freezing
    « on: May 20, 2008, 07:26:38 PM »
    My computer likes to freeze while I am playing games, but I've discovered it's only during certain games and there is no pattern to them.  I can play games like Homeworld 2, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Sins of a Solar Empire, and X2 the Threat and my computer will never lock up no matter how long I play.  When I play games such as World of Warcraft, my computer will lock-up once per day and every so often maybe three times within a span of 20 minutes then back to normal.  Lastly when I play games like Freelancer or Lord of the Rings Online, my computer will crash anywhere from five to twenty minutes after launching them.  I've downloaded latest drivers for my sound card and my video card is using the most recent NVIDIA Beta driver, 175.16  I found when I updated to this driver vs the one officially released back in December the lock ups lessened slightly.  I have attached a Dxdiag and would like some help on this please.  I'm still hoping it's a type of software problem rather than a bad video card.

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

brett74

Apprentice

Re: Computer freezing
      « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »
      do you have anything running in the background if so that  may cause the lock ups too.

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:44:31 PM »
        Hm, the only things running in the background are Spybot and McAfee Anti-Virus, Firewall and System Guard. and Linksys EasyLink Advisor.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:49:14 PM »
          I would shut down spybot,Mcafee and system guard

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:52:07 PM »
            I'll try it out, be about 5-30minutes to see if there are any changes.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »
              okay sounds good let us know either way.

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:38:11 PM »
                Didn't work, took 40min of playing Lord of the Rings Online for the computer to lock up.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
                  darn okay do you have any other fans outside of the psu cpu and vid card fans on the case at all? The reason I'm asking cause I had similar problem and I added more fans to my computer right now I have I rear fan a side fan and I'm thinking of putting a fan in the front somehow but right now when I play games it plays them well since i've added these fans.

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
                    I have a fan on the top and to the side of my tower.  No fan on the video card, just a heat sink the size of the card itself.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 09:00:50 PM »
                      okay I think it could be a heat related issue with the card which is an easy fix there are several video card fans that you can attach to the card and they usually come with a heatsink plus fan. I had a 5500 card and I had to install a better heatsink and fan cause I was having the same problem. you can get a heatsink and fan for around $20

wacked2015

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 09:03:25 PM »
                        Hm, alright, I'll run out and get one tomorrow.  Thank you for all your help.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 09:17:39 PM »
                          you're welcome and keep us posted okay.