Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Previously Fning HDD not booting at all  (Read 2291 times)

DrChrisHE

Topic Starter

Starter

Previously Fning HDD not booting at all
    « on: May 21, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »
     I have a relatively new WD 500 GB external HDD which had been functioning for the first 3 months.  I'm using it for back up to my MacBook Pro.  At the moment I have 250 GB stored on it.

Currently, the HDD is NOT showing any signs of "life" when I plug it in and push the on button.  I've tried multiple outlets, reconnecting all cables and still nothing. 

Relevant history:  We live in the DR and have frequent power surges, however they sometimes will even "pop" the really good ones we have.  I had one episode with the HDD plugged in when this happened. My Mac gave a msg saying that the device had been removed (no damage to the Mac plugged into the same protector.)  After this, I successfully used the HDD two more times.  Now, a week later, I can't seem to get any response.

Is it possible that the power adapter for the HDD is fried?  Hopefully that is it and not the HDD>

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    paz y salud,
    Chris

mektek

Hopeful
    • Witty comment to be advised
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Previously Fning HDD not booting at all
      « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 02:04:37 AM »
      You can check the power adapter with an electrical meter. Do you have access to one or know an electrician?
      Tiggered - adj : It's been tiggered
      A computer that was working until tinkering broke it

DrChrisHE

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 07:49:11 AM »
        Given where we are currently living (not in a big city in the Dominican Republic) I don't have all my US tools, nor do I trust the local electricians or "computer experts."  I will try to find another Foreign National with some tools.

Thanks and any other suggestions are welcome!

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:55:55 AM »
        Like Mektek said, try to get your hands on a multimeter. This will allow you to test the adapter and make sure it's still functioning properly. It's the most logical first step. Allowing an electrician or computer tech who has a multimeter to just test it for you is of little to no risk and minimal expense (if any).

DrChrisHE

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:00:16 AM »
          Thanks...I will find someone with a multimeter.  When I find out if that is the issue, I'll post back.