Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Many problems with games.  (Read 3491 times)

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

Many problems with games.
    « on: May 24, 2008, 11:00:12 PM »
    Hello, I know a bit about computers but what is happening is way beyond what I know. So i recently built my first computer (yey) and i sort of went budget. ill list the specs at the bottom of this post, anyhow, on to the problem.

First off when is start up my computer it will 90 percent of the time freeze if i try to do anything in the first 10 minuts after startup (pardon any spelling mistakes btw), I looked into this and i think it might be because i have a copy of corporate norton and it does an automatic scan after startup which cannot be turrned off near as I can  tell. if someone knows how to fix this problem please please tell me.

2nd because i built it custom im really not sure if i have all the right drivers, mainly im missing one called PCI device (looking in device manager) and also an ethernet controller. so if anyone know a good program to get all the right and updated drivers please let me know

O.K. now onto the main problem. games. I'm a fairly hard-core gamer and play many games such as WoW , Command and conqure generals, and COD4 plus a few others. mainly im talking about those three because they are the ones i play the most and the ones i have problems with.

WoW- freezes randomly in the middle of populated places (not my internet, know that for a fact)

COD4 - freezes inbetween maps and load screens, seems to happen more if I try to modify class (or go into a menu) in-between rounds

Command and Conqure Generals (no zero hour) - Freezes in the middle of a battle  randomly. happens 5/6 battles about

Zero hour- Freezes within the fist 5 seconds after main screen.

sure other games would have similar problems.

the intresting thing about theese freezes is its not a game freeze but a computer freeze, I cannot Alt+f4 or Ctrl+alt+Dlt. I have to restart my computer after this happens and then wait those 10 miniuts before trying anything again. Ill post computer specs and if you need any more info after that please inform me of what you need.

SPECS

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
          OS Service Pack                                      Service Pack 2
          DirectX                                                    4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
          Computer Name                                     (restricted)
          User Name                                             Admin

Motherboard:
          CPU Type                                               Unknown, 2100 MHz
          Motherboard Name                                 MSI K9A Platnium (sp?)
          Motherboard Chipset                               AMD 680X
          System Memory                                       2048 MB
          BIOS Type                                               AMI (03/05/07)
          Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
          Communication Port                                Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
          Video Adapter                                          GeForce 8500 GT  (512 MB)
          Video Adapter                                          NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT  (512 MB)
          Monitor                                                    Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]  (162960392098)

Multimedia:
          Audio Adapter                                         Creative Audigy LS Audio Processor

Storage:
          IDE Controller                                          ATI IDE Controller
          IDE Controller                                        Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
         Disk Drive                                           WDC WD5000AAJS-22TKA0  (465 GB, IDE)
          Optical Drive                                          ATA PI DVD A  DH20A4H
          SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
          C: (NTFS)                                         476929 MB (442209 MB free)

Input:
          Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device
          Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
          Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse
          Mouse                                             Logitech USB WheelMouse
          Mouse                                             Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network:
          Network Adapter                                   Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC  (192.168.1.102)

Peripherals:
          Printer                                           Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
          USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
          USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
          USB2 Controller                                   Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
          USB Device                                        Generic USB Hub
          USB Device                                        Logitech USB WheelMouse
          USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
          USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device

homer

Expert
      Re: Many problems with games.
      « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 02:36:07 AM »
      sounds like your comp is overheating. did you mount the CPU heatsink correctly? did you remember to add thermal paste? what is your CPU make/model and what is its idle temperature? (the CPU idle  temp can be found in the BIOS)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Many problems with games.
      « Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:29:54 AM »
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "