Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: (fixed) Problems with computer after startup.  (Read 8648 times)

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

(fixed) Problems with computer after startup.
    « on: May 24, 2008, 11:14:15 PM »
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello, I know a bit about computers but what is happening is way beyond what I know. So i recently built my first computer (yey) and i sort of went budget. ill list the specs at the bottom of this post, anyhow, on to the problem.

First off when is start up my computer it will 90 percent of the time freeze if i try to do anything in the first 10 minuts after startup (pardon any spelling mistakes btw), I looked into this and i think it might be because i have a copy of corporate norton and it does an automatic scan after startup which cannot be turrned off near as I can  tell. if someone knows how to fix this problem please please tell me.

2nd because i built it custom im really not sure if i have all the right drivers, mainly im missing one called PCI device (looking in device manager) and also an ethernet controller. so if anyone know a good program to get all the right and updated drivers please let me know

3rd problem,  games. I'm a fairly hard-core gamer and play many games such as WoW , Command and conqure generals, and COD4 plus a few others. mainly im talking about those three because they are the ones i play the most and the ones i have problems with. they freeze all at different points in the game, some right after starting up and some farther in. I can not alt f4 out of the games.

Ill post computer specs and if you need any more info after that please inform me of what you need.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FIXED ! fixed it a while ago but figured i would update. the problem was quite stupid. looked around on some fourms and someone said they had to roll back to bios 1.5 , turns out my bios was 1.5 and updated it to 1.8 and everything resolved its self! thanks for the help. 

SPECS

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
          Operating System                                  Microsoft Windows XP Professional
          OS Service Pack                                      Service Pack 2
          DirectX                                                    4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
          Computer Name                                     (restricted)
          User Name                                             Admin

Motherboard:
          CPU Type                                               Unknown, 2100 MHz
          Motherboard Name                                 MSI K9A Platnium (sp?)
          Motherboard Chipset                               AMD 680X
          System Memory                                       2048 MB
          BIOS Type                                               AMI (03/05/07)
          Communication Port                                Communications Port (COM1)
          Communication Port                                Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
          Video Adapter                                          GeForce 8500 GT  (512 MB)
          Video Adapter                                          NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT  (512 MB)
          Monitor                                                    Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB]  (162960392098)

Multimedia:
          Audio Adapter                                         Creative Audigy LS Audio Processor

Storage:
          IDE Controller                                          ATI IDE Controller
          IDE Controller                                        Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
         Disk Drive                                           WDC WD5000AAJS-22TKA0  (465 GB, IDE)
          Optical Drive                                          ATA PI DVD A  DH20A4H
          SMART Hard Disks Status                           OK

Partitions:
          C: (NTFS)                                         476929 MB (442209 MB free)

Input:
          Keyboard                                          HID Keyboard Device
          Keyboard                                          Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
          Mouse                                             HID-compliant mouse
          Mouse                                             Logitech USB WheelMouse
          Mouse                                             Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network:
          Network Adapter                                   Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC  (192.168.1.102)

Peripherals:
          Printer                                           Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
          USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
          USB1 Controller                                   Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller [NoDB]
          USB2 Controller                                   Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
          USB Device                                        Generic USB Hub
          USB Device                                        Logitech USB WheelMouse
          USB Device                                        USB Composite Device
          USB Device                                        USB Human Interface Device
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:02:52 PM by Nelgraf »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Problems with computer after startup.
    « Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 06:27:35 AM »
    Uninstall Norton to see if issue #1 goes away.
    DLoad and use the Norton Removal tool for this.
    If it solves this issue there are solid FREE alternatives such as Avast or AVG...pick ONLY 1 as a replacement.

# 2) All the neccessary drivers should be on the MSI driver CD that shipped with the MBoard...re-install them.

# 3) As far as games freezing or locking up that could be a heat issue...check your temps under load / a RAM issue...DLoad and run MemTest and let it run a few hours. Any errors at all and you will need to replace the RAM.

Also other considerations:
    Was thermal compound applied properly on this build ?
    Is the PSU new and powerful enough to run this setup ?

Let us Know.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 08:09:36 PM »
      1- thanks , un-installed and helped alot but don't really feel safe without norton, so i think i might just get the non-corporate version

2- checked all the drivers and couldn't find one that looked like it might be for "PCI device" do you know a site that might have one?

3- Just put my computer under stress testing for RAM and CPU, after around an hour CPU was running at 51 C and system at 43 , should I stress my vid-card aswell ? and also it didn't lock up or anything during the stress test. I don't know what normal temps are so if you could let me know it would be appriciated. and do you know a site where i can get a memtest?

(ps. problems with games still happening)

4- the sink was on their when i installed the prossesor , not sure if you mean that or somthing else

5- PSU ?

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »
      Your best option is to leave Norton alone. It's just a bad program.
      Surely, you don't want to go unprotected, so get free Avast AV, and use either Windows firewall, or free Comodo firewall.

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 08:39:55 PM »
        alright, is Avast as effective as norton ?

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 08:50:39 PM »
        Better.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 09:22:06 PM »
        It's just a bad program.

And that is still sugar-coating it...
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        « Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »
        Don't touch it!!.....better?...LOL

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        « Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 09:33:57 PM »
        close. I'd say the worst sequence of bits to ever be created by anybody anywhere at any place or time in all history. In fact I think with every new version they think, "what other system critical stuff can we dangerously hook into?".
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »
          alright :P thanks, yea it has been annoying me but seems to keep virusus out.

now just need the rest of my questions answered...

Update -

CPU- 52 C

Sys - 43 C

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 10:13:45 PM »
          mainly im missing one called PCI device (looking in device manager) and also an ethernet controller
          "PCI device" can be anything. What is not working? Get  Unknown Device Identifier: http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html

Your Ethernet card driver: http://driverzone.com/device.php?id=51128

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:49 AM »
          If it solves this issue there are solid FREE alternatives such as Avast or AVG...pick ONLY 1 as a replacement.

Didn't you get a Driver CD with that MSI board ? ?
          Re-install the MBoard drivers and re-boot.
          Then check Device Manager for any yellow ! !'s...

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 11:45:30 AM »
            my mo-bo disk is wierd, it has all the main drivers then it has special "realtec" ones and things like that , i just installed the main drivers and was missing some things but i'll go take a look at the realtec

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:08:31 PM »
            That's interesting...cause i've always found MSI's Driver CD's easy to work with...any devices with an error in Device Manager just right clik them and when it prompts for the driver just point it to the MSI CD and it should run automatically...
            I think you may be having trouble because you are doing them piecemeal...the MBoard drivers need to be installed in a certain order with some boards...
            In other words you can't very well re-install the sound drivers until the chipset drivers are loaded.

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »
               alright , just re-installed them and now don't seem to be having any troubles. also i can now use the sound on my motherboard (was using a sound card) so thats always good ! I'm gussing thats the one i was missing. Now just need to figure out why my games are freezing and i'm good.

P.S. hottest my P.C. got under stress test on CPU and RAM was 52 C for CPU and 43 for system.

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »
                just tried playing WoW and still froze after a little while playing... is it a heat problem ?

Nelgraf

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 11:01:20 PM »
                  FIXED ! fixed it a while ago but figured i would update. the problem was quite stupid. looked around on some fourms and someone said they had to roll back to bios 1.5 , turns out my bios was 1.5 and updated it to 1.8 and everything resolved its self! thanks for the help.

Broni

Mastermind
                    • Computer Help Forum
                  Re: (fixed) Problems with computer after startup.
                  « Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 02:02:40 PM »
                  Good news :)