Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

Should CH

Unsure
4 (57.1%)
No
3 (42.9%)
Yes
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: What if ComputerHope  (Read 13680 times)

!~*:.Pink Floyd.:*~!

Re: What if ComputerHope
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 09:59:36 AM »
Are? instead of a

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 01:46:59 PM »
    Theres a few things that might of been overlooked.  But I done what you wanted so?
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »
      What??? Your pet????
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Dias de verano

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »
      A "pet hate" is a particular dislike that a person has. It's not "might of". It's might have.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
      Here :P
      https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3497

It would be nice to have a button in the Unread Topics to open all topics in all tabs like the Firefox Bookmarks

Thats what RSS feeds are for.
      If you are using FireFox:
      Click "Unread Posts"
      then click the RSS Feed button in your address bar
      Subscribe to it
      Find wherever FireFox put the subscription shortcut, click, and open all in new tabs.

I wonder if its possible to make the forums flash operated that would be a nice project to start for the summer
      Dear goodness, no!
      Besides the fact that PHP probably wouldent play nice with Flash, most users who come here are new users. They cant be bothered with ActiveX and Addons popping up, especially if they need browser help since half of what they had running wasnt working.

Flash is flawed in the aspect that you NEED to have it installed to view it. If you didnt have it, sure, you could build an alternative site, but, that would take forever to maintain. Even then, my next reason for not having a flash forum or flash site follows:

Flash is slow and can be VERY resource intensive. Many of our users are using old computers, which they are often trying to speed up, remove viruses from, or some other mishap that happened.
      Not only that, but Flash cant be easily installed on all computers. Macintosh users, for example, with Safari might have difficulties. Users with old and outdated versions of Internet Explorer cant have Flash, and users with operating systems like 95, 98, and ME might not be able to access the forums.

Flash = Walking Flaw

If this were a gaming website with people that have computer experience and descent computers, then I wouldent be against Flash all that much, it gives the user a more dynamic web 2.0 experience, and in many cases, flash can make things seem to move more flawlessly, but at the same time, I contradict myself already by saying that Flash is already resource intensive enough.

Flash is for moving media, not websites.

As for spelling, your absolute best bet is to get FireFox and enable Spell Check, which is like the Microsoft Word Spellcheck Feature (underlining misspelled words)
      If you cant do that, the Forums spell check feature is great for users with Internet Explorer.

might of

A pet hate of mine  ::)
      Pet Peeve, you mean?

squall_01 (heading onto 20664 keystrokes now!) :
      Spelling isn't necessarily, and is definitely not a requirement if you would like to actively participate on ComputerHope. The reason we encourage it, however, is for when you (or anyone) is helping someone with a computer problem. A small percentage (not a huge amount) of our users may be translating from a foreign language to English (either because they know the language, or because they are using an online translation tool) and that can be a credibly difficult thing to do when you have a misspelling, or grammatical error (keeping in consideration that most languages have a different syntax from English. Eg: Thing, Action, Result vs. Action, Result, Thing. "The Quick Brown Fox Jumps Over The Lazy Dog" vs. "Lazy Dog, Fox Jumped Over Quickly" and all that wonder-nonsense)

My spelling, personally, isn't all that wonderful. I get things wrong all the time. When I don't have FireFox's spell checking feature available, I usually wont bother. (The Forums built in spell check feature works, but, I am usually just in too much of a hurry, or too impatient to run it. Thus, why I try and keep FireFox Portable with me at all times)

Anyways, you can tell I am bored. I would be cool if we got word counts and post counts instead of just post counts... keep track of how many words everyone has typed..

Please tell me no one read my entire post all the way through.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2008, 07:10:53 PM »
        I did okay one thats a bad idea an yes you do bring some new light to this fourm.  However I agree with the flash concept seeing as I run dial up it takes me an hour to two to load swf an so on.  I am how you say under educated for my disposition in order to maintain that which is consider stander for the average person as previously mentioned.  Also, welcome back havent seen you online in a while.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
          • Yes
          • Technology News and Information
        « Reply #37 on: May 31, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
        Also, welcome back havent seen you online in a while.
        I've been neglecting my email inbox with all those reply notices.
        I also unsubscribed from about half the boards on ComputerHope that I used to watch over. I've been feeling unmotivated, and quite frankly on-and-off depressed. This is what I call:
        End of the year, and I become a senior next year.

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 02:18:44 AM »
        Good to see you back Zylstra.  Your depression comment is something I can relate to, I'm feeling that way myself.

I'm not getting involved in the whole spelling thing because I know I'll take it too far, I can't stand spelling or grammatical mistakes so if I get involved I will be banned for excessive post deletion.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 03:28:11 AM »
          Maybe, however just cause my spelling isnt the greatest dont mean that we should trial off the topic.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 03:32:45 AM »
          Maybe, however just cause my spelling isnt the greatest dont mean that we should trial off the topic.
          Agreed

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #41 on: June 01, 2008, 09:17:41 AM »

I did....

;)

BTW your word count is currently 743,554,218,693,404,117,061.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #42 on: June 01, 2008, 09:21:29 AM »
          What post?      :P

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #43 on: June 01, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
          Never trussed your spell chequer to find awl yore mistakes.

Hmm, the spell checker here must be for American English. Chequer is an acceptable spelling in British English. God save the Queen!

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #44 on: June 01, 2008, 10:58:19 AM »
           ;D    ;D

2 Nations divided by a common language.....
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "