Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New build computer freeze.  (Read 11005 times)

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

New build computer freeze.
    « on: May 27, 2008, 04:05:54 AM »
    I just built a new computer, and when I play call of duty 4 single player, It freezes. Got A direct X error first time, Than the next no error but still locked up on me. It's frustrating because I upgraded my vid card. Specs-- Windows XP Home  SP-2, Evga geforce 780i motherboared, Geforce 9800GTX 512mb Vid card, Intel duelcore E8400 processor 3.0ghz 2gb ram, 2gb on Its way. corsair 620w power supply.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: New build computer freeze.
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 04:08:12 AM »
    ot A direct X error first time
    Do you remember what the error said?

Do you think the computer is overheating?

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 04:37:36 AM »
      The first error said direct x error thats was all it said than froze, overheating, Maybe but my Antec 900 case has 5 fans.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
        • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:09:45 AM »
      I just built a new computer, and when I play call of duty 4 single player, It freezes. Got A direct X error first time, Than the next no error but still locked up on me.

What version of DIrectX do you have?
      "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:30:08 AM »
        I think Its Direct x 9, Im freaking out!!! :o help!!!

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 06:34:50 AM »
          UPDATE!! I got a brain fart and did a experiment, I put call of duty cd in, but this time opened the case and put a small fan close to the side  of the case, ran the game about half hr, no freeze, No locks, no errors. Seems to me I have a heat problem. How to solve? Open to suggestions.
          « Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 07:15:58 AM by srtony1946 »

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 06:38:21 AM »
          That is exactly what I was going to suggest if it was a overheating problem. Put a fan next to the computer.  ;)

How to solve? Open to suggestions.
          You might want to check out here:
          http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

You also want to make sure the fans are circulating the air in from the front and out the back.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 07:14:32 AM »
            Thanks for the suggestions, The computer Is brand new and  no dust, clean, so dust dirt Is not an issue. As far as the fan on the side, (This was just a brainfart Test, And only a test!) I am going to try to turn my fans up to high(They where set on low). Freakin out Is NOT an option!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 07:17:42 AM »
            Freakin out Is NOT an option!
            Agreed.

Download Speedfan and tell us your computer's idle temperature(s) and the temperature during gameplay.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:00:15 AM »
              Great sugestion, I saved speedfan website on my old CPU favs. But I have one small I hope problem. I can't seem to get a Internet connection DSL,on my new build. On the system tray says Internet connection 2 disabled. Never seen connection 2 before. Im thinking It may be a broadband driver I need to download but, I am sure I downloaded all drivers. Food for thought---- Just because the you tube vid on building your own computer looks easy, . Sweet reality sets In when you start building that super computer. (Look at all these wires!!!)  OUT! Sorry Got to stop drinking the coffee.

homer

Expert
                « Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:36:48 PM »
                the 780i comes with 2 LAN connections. if you only plan on using one of them you can disable the other in device management. you should have the proper drivers for them within the CD that came with your motherboard.

to get to device management click START, then RUN. type in "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes. the device management screen will pop up. you should see something along the lines of "nvidia network bus enumerator," click the + sign on the left of it. two items will drop down (the 2 LAN connections), right click one and select disable.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 05:28:24 PM »
                  Thanks Homer, I will try and get back with you. I am on the verge of freaking out about this, I just can't understand why this thing Is locking up on me when I play Call of Duty for about 15 Mins or so. Last time I played for 15 mins with a normal house fan blowing on the side of the case. No freeze until I tried to ouit game , then It locked up with little block looking things than black screen.

homer

Expert
                    « Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »
                    Food for thought---- Just because the you tube vid on building your own computer looks easy, .

i just finished reading this. um, i strongly suggest not building your own computer in the future if you are inexperienced. if it was a cheap computer, then sure, go for it. but your computer is a high level gaming computer with expensive parts that can be easily damaged if handled or hooked up incorrectly.

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
                      I had a friend build It for me, He has built lots of them. But never a gaming computer. Here's the latest, I did what you said but still cannot go to the Internet, When I go to Network connections This Is what I see.... Lan or highspeed  below that 1394 connection, connected, firewalled,1394 net adapter. On the other side of that I see Local area connection below It says connected firewalled nvidia nforce networking somthing. I am not seeing anything In the system tray that says I am connected or not to the Internet. Also, Is It safe or a good Idea to go Into Bio's and adjust my fan speed to 100 percent or leave It  to monitor by temp?

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »
                        did you install the drivers for your motherboard from the CD that came with it?

Is It safe or a good Idea to go Into Bio(s)'s and adjust my fan speed to 100 percent or leave It  to monitor by temp?

which fan?

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 04:54:49 AM »
                        Have you checked your network cables to see if its not damaged?
                        "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
                        --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

srtony1946

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:50:36 PM »
                          Problem solved, Internet problem..... I called my Internet provider. Computer freezes....... Updated drivers.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 07:11:41 PM »
                          Congrats. So all you had to do was update the drivers?

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 02:33:39 AM »
                          Good job! ;D
                          --Kuya Daniel Razon