Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft Word, Bulleted Lists and Dreamweaver  (Read 3110 times)

mdumka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Microsoft Word, Bulleted Lists and Dreamweaver
    « on: May 27, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
    Hello ...

Has anyone ever figured out a way to import word documents into dreamweaver with correct bulleted lists?

Thanks

stevejohnson1958

Re: Microsoft Word, Bulleted Lists and Dreamweaver
    « Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 01:11:08 PM »
    Depending on your version of Dreamweaver...

In the toolbar, under "Commands", there's a menu item called "Clean Up Word HTML"...

What it does:

Cleaning up Microsoft Word HTML

In Dreamweaver, you can open or import documents saved by Microsoft Word as HTML files, then use the Clean Up Word HTML command to remove the extraneous HTML code generated by Word. The code that Dreamweaver removes is primarily used by Word to format and display documents in Word and is not needed to display the HTML file. Retain a copy of your original Word (.doc) file as a backup, because you may not be able to reopen the HTML document in Word once you've applied the Clean Up Word HTML feature. The Clean Up Word HTML command is available for documents saved as HTML files by Word 97 or later.

To clean up HTML or XHTML that was not generated by Microsoft Word, see Cleaning up your code.

To clean up Word HTML:

1.  In Microsoft Word, save your document as an HTML file.
    2.  Open the HTML document in Dreamweaver using either of the following methods:
    • Choose File > Import > Import Word HTML and select a file to open.

Dreamweaver opens the file and then automatically opens the Clean Up Word HTML dialog box.

• Choose File > Open and select a file to open.

An HTML Corrections log file is automatically generated if Warn when Fixing or Removing Tags is selected in HTML Rewriting preferences. This is not part of the Clean Up Word HTML feature. Click Continue to exit the dialog box. Then, in Dreamweaver, choose Commands > Clean Up Word HTML.

3.  With either of these methods, there may be a slight delay while Dreamweaver attempts to determine which version of Word was used to save the file. If Dreamweaver is unable to determine this, select the correct version using the pop-up menu.

4.  Choose which options the Clean Up Word HTML feature should use. The Basic tab displays the following options:
    • Remove all Word Specific Markup removes all Word-specific HTML, including XML from html tags, Word custom meta data and link tags in the head of the document, Word XML markup, conditional tags and their contents, and empty paragraphs and margins from styles. You can select each of these options individually using the Detailed tab.
    • Clean up CSS removes all Word-specific CSS, including inline CSS styles when possible (where the parent style has the same style properties), style attributes beginning with “mso,” non-CSS style declarations, CSS style attributes from tables, and all unused style definitions from the head. You can further customize this option using the Detailed tab.
    • Clean up <font> Tags removes HTML tags, converting the default body text to size 2 HTML text.
    • Fix Invalidly Nested Tags removes the font markup tags inserted by Word outside the paragraph and heading (block-level) tags.
    • Set Background Color allows you to enter a hexadecimal value to set the background color of your document. If you do not set a background color, your Word HTML document will have a gray background. The default hexadecimal value set by Dreamweaver is white.
    • Apply Source Formatting applies the source formatting options you specify in HTML Format preferences and SourceFormat.txt to the document.
    • Show Log on Completion displays an alert box with details about the changes made to the document as soon as the cleanup is finished.
    5.  Click OK.

Depending on the size of your document and the number of options selected, it may take several seconds to complete the cleanup. The preferences you entered are automatically saved as the default Clean Up Word HTML settings.

mdumka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »
      I am using Dreamweaver 8.

I have tried that and it does not make the correct HTML.

I have attached the HTM and Doc files if you want to look at. The HTM file is after Dreamweaver cleaned it up ...

I can import it and it looks OK, only problem is the bulleted list is imported as a ordered list.

Thanks for the help ...

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:00:04 PM »
      I simply opened your Word document with my version of Word.

I then changed the bulleted format to the ordered list format.

Finally, I saved the Word document as a web page.

The result was a web page with the list items numbered.  See attached...

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

mdumka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »
        Hi Steve ... Thanks for the help ...

The problem is not to get an ordered list ... the problem is to get an un-ordered list or bulleted list.

Dreamweaver can not open the Word HTM file and clean it properly and when you import word into dramweaver  it adds an extra OL tag.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
        What version of Word are you using?

I'm using Dreamweaver MX...and it will only cleanup 97/98 or 2000/2002.

mdumka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 08:55:08 AM »
          Dreamweaver 8 and I am using Word 2002

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »
          Right now...I'm at a a loss.

It would seem that Dreamweaver would need to apply some sort of source formatting to the document, in order for it to have the correct tag info Dreamweaver requires.

I am looking into it, though.

mdumka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 10:03:29 AM »
            Much Thanks

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 10:11:59 AM »
            mdumka...

It would seem that you are applying styles to the text when creating the word document...correct?

Instead of applying the styles to the text in Word, do this:

Type the word document as if you were creating a regular document, but do not apply any source coding such as headers, etc.  Just use regular text.  Youcan use the bullet-ed feature in Word, but don't apply any additional markup to the text.

Import the document into Dreamweaver...

Cleanup the Word HTML...

Then apply your source formatting...using Dreamweaver.

Let me know if this suits you....otherwise...back to square one.

mdumka

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
              Is is the business problem ...

We have a group of 40 people who maintain around 5,000 pages.

The way they are doing this is using creating there content in Microsoft Word, then importing into a Dreamweaver Template.

This is not an ideal solution but they will not switch to a content management system not matter how much we urge.

So we have to make the best of a bad situation ... and the last problem is how to handle bullets.

But I think I have found a solution ... It seems CS3 does a much better job of converting so we will test that out tomorrow ... thanks for the help.

Mike