Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: user accounts / startup problem XP  (Read 4938 times)

reisender

user accounts / startup problem XP
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:56:09 PM »
summary:  XP startup changes the desired login name to one which doesn't exist and gives an error message.

Using windows XP, control panel/user accounts, I have been using the classic login prompt where it asks for username to be typed in along with password.   Under user accounts, I have only my own personal (administrator) name, and Guest.  Up until now, the system has automatically listed the administrator name, and I could just hit enter to continue with the startup.
Recently though, the startup has entered "User" as the username and an error message shows that I have entered the wrong username or password.  So I have to correct the name by typing it in.  
I tried to change the startup by "using the welcome screen" option under control panel/user accounts.  I restarted and i could see quickly the screen showing the classic prompt, with "User" as the user name, and the same error message as before.  Then the screen changes and blue screen says "windows is loading" or something to that effect.  But windows doesn't load at all.

How can I stop it from entering "User" as a username automatically, and revert it back to the admin. name?
There is no "user" username, only admin and guest.

Ideally I'd like a startup where I don't have to type and/or click anything.

Small problem I know, but annoying.