Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card Power Question  (Read 2423 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Video Card Power Question
    « on: May 30, 2008, 05:03:53 PM »
    Alrighty, My other topic got extended too much to the point where this should really have been its own topic, as it is now.

So, I got a GeForce 6800 GS video card. Only my computer is a Shuttle XPC SS51G v2.0 like on http://eu.shuttle.com/archive/en/ss51g_faq.htm. Its only got a 200W power supply, and i heard that the card requires a 350W power supply. Even more specifically i heard it needs 18A on the 12V Line.

First off, i'd just like to confirm that information, and perhaps a brief explanation, or redirection as to why my video card requires me to upgrade my power supply. I mean, before i knew this i ran my shuttle with the video card in it and it started up and everything, it seemed fine.
    (for those who follow my posts i disconnected the cd drive to plug it in. which is the only reason i found out i needed a greater power supply when i was finding out if i could just get a splitter)

Second, my problem is that from looking, shuttle power supplys don't get that high. Does this mean that i can't run my video card on my shuttle?

Thank you

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Video Card Power Question
    « Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »
    They do make PSU's that high...they're just expensive.
    This is one of the drawbacks to a micro ATX system...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:39:33 PM »
      Apparently...

Well, knowing this possibility for a little while now, i've been trying to convince a friend to switch computers with me. They use it for e-mail and word so they don't need any of the extras. Essentially i'd get their standard tower case and power supply and i'd keep my RAM modules and hard drive ect.

Assuming they say yes to this, i obviously have a couple questions. One, can you just switch hard drives between computers, because i seem to have a bad history with having to reformat a hard drive when i take it out.
      Two, their power supply is still only 300W with 15A on the 12V line. Will I still need to upgrade the power supply?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »
      Any Windows OS since Win2K is not condusive to having the HDD swapped into a different machine...this is by design.
      A 300W PSU is a little on the weak side but it all depends on what you plan on running in there.
      When you get closer to that time post back as there are easy solutions to both issues you raised...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:35:50 AM »
        Alright, obviously took me a little while to get closer to that time. Now i'm there, though.
        I'm looking to swap my shuttle with their standard tower, and i need to swap the hdd's so we keep our own.

I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, i very occasionally play a game with low requirements. I just got the video card for free, and wanted to set up dual monitors with it. So that's what i'm planning on running really, is dual monitors.

So what do you think?