Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista update breaks cdrom  (Read 3145 times)

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Vista update breaks cdrom
    « on: June 02, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »
    I replaced a hdd on a clients computer (Dell XPS-210) with Vista Home Premium.  All went well until I did a Windows update.  After reboot the cdrom drive was gone from DM.  You can still see it in the BIOS & boot process.  Did a system restore to the day prior, cdrom back.  Redid the update and the cdrom is still there.   ;D

Took the system back to the users house, reconnected everything, again Windows update and once again, no cdrom drive.   :-X  BIOS is ok.  Went back to a system restore point prior to and the cdrom is back.  I temporarily turned off updates until I can solve this issue.

The sad thing is this system is 45 days out of warranty.  I'm posting this before calling Dell to rag on them.  M$ site has nothing.

There is a boatload of updates that you can do one-at-a-time and I'm hoping that I can get some satisfaction from Dell, other than that I don't see any other options.

Ideas?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

stevejohnson1958

Re: Vista update breaks cdrom
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:23:41 AM »
    Do you know which update is causing it?

It may be a good idea to list those high-priority updates...for that computer so that we can determine the probable culprit.

You may have to try one update at a time, in order to determine which one is causing the problem.

Also...are there any hardware updates you may be installing, as well, that may be causing the issue?

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:11:55 AM »
      Do you know which update is causing it?

No, if I did then I wouldn't download it. 

It may be a good idea to list those high-priority updates...for that computer so that we can determine the probable culprit.

The list is very long.

You may have to try one update at a time, in order to determine which one is causing the problem.

That will take a long time and I'm not willing to sit through it.  This system has only 1G RAM and is so slow it's like watching paint dry  :P.

Also...are there any hardware updates you may be installing, as well, that may be causing the issue?

Not from what I can tell.  All the hardware installed OK from the start.  The cdrom got lost onlyafter I did the massive Windows update.

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

ale52

Topic Starter

Expert

• Deo Gratis
        « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:44:31 AM »
        Just talked to Dell.  They're about as useful as *censored*-on-a-snail  :-X  dooooooooo...

What they said   They said they were aware of the problem and to wait for a week and then try the updates again.

Oh well...