Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loss of e-mail access  (Read 4146 times)

ming

Topic Starter

Starter

Loss of e-mail access
    « on: April 10, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »

I have been blocked from my email account because I forgot my password and cannot remember my secret answer. As a result I am cut off from all my contacts and precious emails.
    I am desperate for help and don't know how to contact hotmail.
    I am very inept at computer skills.
    PLEASE can someone help me?
    I didn't know where to post this, I do hope I am in the right section.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Loss of e-mail access
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »
    Did you enter an alternate e-mail address when you signed up for your Hotmail account? That's the normal method used to reset a lost password. If not, there isn't anything you can really do to get into your email account.

You can contact their support by clicking "Help Central" at the bottom of the Windows Live login page. Then click "How can I reset my password?". If you didn't enter an alternate email address, the instructions there won't help you, but if you click "Get more help" at the bottom of the page, then click "Get support" you'll be directed to a page where you can contact them with your issue.

Unfortunately, this is the extent of help we can give you with this, and I'm not sure how likely it will be that their support will help you either. It's rare that someone forgets their password AND secret question unless they're suffering from amnesia or just have memory problems in general.

ming

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 03:45:17 AM »
      Many thanks, Quqxo, I shall try that.
      I did spend all Thursday evening going around the help system but your advice guides me a step further on.
      I will explain what happened.
      I am a woman of 68, an artist, totally non tech.  My son (now somewhere on an island off the coast of America) set up my hotmail for me five years ago when I first got my PC. I think I can vaguely remember him asking me what my favourite meal was... but I haven't the foggiest idea what I said and didn't really understand the importance of remembering it. I wish the question had been something unforgetable...like birthplace for instance.
      Then, about a month ago I was persuaded, for security reasons, to change my password... and didn't write it down. Yes, now I can see the stupidity of that!
      Neither did I set up an alternative address, because no-one told me I should.
      I had/have no idea how the internet works...just regard it as some esoteric miracle that is a constant wonder and delight ...until now... when just as I was sending an email to a friend it sprang up and demanded questions I couldn't answer... and became a nightmare.
      So much of my life is recorded there.

quaxo

Guru
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 06:08:41 AM »
      Wish I could be of more help, but contacting their tech support is just about your only option. We typically don't help with lost passwords because it's impossible to tell what cases are genuine and which are people trying to get into things that don't belong to them . I'm not at all saying your case isn't genuine though.  :)

Hope they can get it sorted out for you. Good luck.

ming

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:32:18 AM »
        Thanks,
        I have filled in the questionnaire and can do no more than await their verdict.
        I completely understand that the rules are there for our protection, and if ever I get back I shall never be so stupid again.
        I will try to let you know what happens. Thank you again.

ming

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:45:04 AM »
          Dear Quaxo,
          Joyus news!
          I had a lovely mail from a gentleman at ID validation, who helped me through the steps for proving my identity and regaining access to my account.
          I now have it restored, and am ever grateful to you kind people who assisted me through my panic.
          Yours thankfully,
          Ming

quaxo

Guru
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:59 PM »
          That's great. Glad to hear they were able to get things sorted for you. Feel free to stop by and ask for more advice if ever needed!  ;D