Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Will NOT Bootup!  (Read 35794 times)

stevejohnson1958

Re: Will NOT Bootup!
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2008, 11:38:27 AM »
All of the points you have made are taken...

Something you should know, though...

I wanted to make this as easy as possible for you...without having to make it turn into a book...or put you through any more work than you needed to.

While there are those out there who want to save the information on their drives at all costs...they should always remember to backup their data on a daily basis...so that if a situation such as this one occurs...it's an easier fix...and less aggravation.

I'm not afraid to admit that I was wrong...if the situation warrants it.  At no time did I say that it couldn't be done.  I do not claim...nor will I ever claim that I am smarter than anyone.  I, like you...learn something new everyday.

I used to get defensive on this board when someone copped an attitude...and I have since learned that I am bigger than that.  I will never...ever...bring myself down to that level again.  I am not pointing any fingers at you...regarding the previous statement...I just wanted to make a point...and it follows:

One thing you do need to understand...those that are here...are here because they choose to help.  They give freely of their time...and ask for nothing in return..except for maybe a simple "thank you".

They also want to make it easy on the OP (original poster) by giving them what the tech feels is the best advice for their particular situation.  It's your decision to choose whether or not you want to use this information to fix the problem you're currently experiencing.

It is not wrong to ask questions along the way...but do so sparingly...and give the tech ample time to respond...since you're not the only one asking for help on this board.

Some techs will get upset if you do not follow their advice...and you may have thought that I was getting defensive...or upset...but I wasn't.  I gave you the information I thought you needed (my advice)...and waited for any other techs online at the time to make any further recommendations.

I made the comment regarding other techs must agree if they haven't replied to the thread...I didn't state "all techs"...there is a difference.

Eventually, Broni chimed in...with the comment about if you were able to now see the C drive you could back up some files...or at least try to save a few.  That was something I overlooked...and admitted to.

I think we should end these type of comments here...and concentrate solely on the problem you are currently experiencing.  Broni is on board...and both you and I know...he is more than capable of handling your malware infection...he's one of the best.

If you require any further assistance from me...I'll be around...and more than willing to help you with any problem you come across...as long as it's within my field of knowledge.  If not...I will research it for you...or recommend someone who'll be able to help.

All my best to you...I certainly hope you get this issue resolved as soon as possible.

And as far as me not willing to give your suggestion a try...no body's perfect... ;D

Take care woodworks...

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
    Saviour if you want to jump in here, please feel free to. I have no idea who's expertise this comes under, but here goes.

So far when I boot up the computer it still comes up with the error of not finding the jqwmwhxu.dll.  I have done a search and I can't find any file on the internet. Or at least at the places I've been to.

The second thing is that it won't update. It says that updates are waiting to be installed, but it will not install them.

So that is where I am at this point. 

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #107 on: June 03, 2008, 12:02:22 PM »
    Can you post the exact error message, please...word for word.  Is this the only error you get upon boot?

I can't find any info on that file, either.

I do believe, however, that it may be malware-related.  Again...Broni is better suited to help you in this regard.

In the interim...you may want to visit the following page and run a full scan using Trend Micro's online scanner...it's referred to as HouseCall.

Go to the following page:  http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Read the entire page, noting system requirements and the like.  Also make sure you follow the directions when you decide which scan engine you want to use.

This scan will take some time...so you'll need to be a little patient...and let it do its thing.  During the process...you'll be notified if it finds any malware...and at the end of the scan...it should fix...or allow you to fix the reported infections.

After all is said and done with the scan...reboot to see if you are still experiencing any boot problems, or errors.

It would also be a good idea...after the scan...to download and run HijackThis, so you can post a log for Broni to take a look at...okay?
    « Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 12:20:58 PM by Saviour »

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2008, 01:11:34 PM »
      Sorry to take so long to get back.
      The exact error message is as follows
      RUNDLL
      Error Loading
      C:WINDOWS\system32\jqwmwhxu
      Module could not be found.

I have hijack this and I left a log in an earlier post.  I will do the same again after I do a scan from where you said to go to. 

My question is this, how will I know which scan engine I want?

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2008, 01:18:16 PM »
      Use this one:  http://prerelease.trendmicro-europe.com/hc66/launch/

It's new and simplified...just click the Launch HouseCall Free Scan button.

After the scan by HouseCall...you'll want to provide Broni with a new HijackThis log.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2008, 01:56:30 PM »
        how do I know it's working?
        I tried once and it locked up on me and had to shut down. I am trying now and it doesn't look like it is working, but so far I am able to mimimize it. But the green bars at the bottom are not moving.
        Also, I agree with you about the malware.  I just found that I no longer have task manager.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2008, 03:29:22 PM »
        I, too...am running it as we speak...you can tell it's working by looking at th left column of the current page.  It will tell you what step you're on.

Again...you need to be patient...as this will take quite a a while.  It depends on how much activity the HouceCall server is experiencing at the moment.  It also neds to update before it actually starts scanning.

Though the main page will show nothing...the left coloumn will tell you everything you need to know.  Like I said...be patint...because this will take some time.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
          Well it said I just posted this, but I don't see it anywhere, so here goes again.

It got done and said I needed to d/l a bunch of updates.  I tried to, but nothing happened, they wouldn't d/l.

So I did a hijack this.  It came up with an error, I'll try to give it to you.

Error Details:
          An unexpected error has occured at procedure: ModMain_StartScan()
          Error #6 - Overflow

Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600
          MSIE version: 7.0.5730.13
          HijackThis version 2.0.2

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2008, 03:43:30 PM »
            Crap
            I forgot to ask that you tell me where to go to fix my task manager.  I have done it before, but I can't remember where to go and how to do it.  I've been on this thing waaaaay toooo long.  I'm going to have to get off of it.  I'd really like to get it finished.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
            Is HouseCall still running?  Mine is... so yours can't be done...I started at the same time I told you to...

One thing at a time...patience is  avirtue...and it appears you have none... ;D

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2008, 03:54:50 PM »
              No it's not running.  It came to the point that it gave me the option of deleting the spyware and grayware and the vulurablitys.  I deleted them and then attempted to d/l the updates it said I needed to install.  I tried but then I just got tired of it not doing anything.

No I don't have any patience after being on here since 6am yesterday morning.  I got to sleep at after 2 in the morning and was off of it for about an hour this morning.  I've been on here running sweeps after sweeps trying to fix it.  I have hopefully move my files from the c drive to my external drive.

So, NO Saviour, I don't have much patience left.  My legs are so cramped and my back is killing me.  And NO I'm NOT sorry I took this route in trying to fix this, I'm just getting tired after all this time.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
              Trust me...I understand.  My scan just completed as well...

Do you have your Windows CD?

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2008, 04:05:55 PM »
                Yes I do, Do you want it?

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2008, 04:14:46 PM »
                Are you familiar with how to run chkdsk from a command prompt?

If not...go to your Start Menu and select Run.  Type cmd in the box and click the OK button.

You should see a command window open.

What we want to do is perform a chkdsk of the C drive...so at the prompt type chkdsk c: and then hit the Enter key.

This will scan your drive for corrupt and/or damaged files and when it's done will show a log.

Copy this log and post it please.

woodworks

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2008, 04:16:31 PM »
                  No problem.  Do I want the CD in or does it matter at this point?