Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Display gone weird  (Read 2552 times)

sweetpea

Topic Starter

Display gone weird
    « on: June 02, 2008, 09:24:11 AM »
    Hi, i am a first time user and hope i can get some help with my display problem. I have windows xp sp3, video adaptor nvidia geforce4 mx440. This problem started some time ago but only happens occasionally, lately it has been happening just about regularly when i turn on the computer. The colors go weird, showing weird patterns while booting up and when finally on my desktop, the colors are not complete e.g. a lot of red or pink shadows and lines with pink or incomplete pictures with lines, etc. (hard to explain). Usually i turn off and turn on again and the problem disappears, sometimes have to reboot twice before it becomes normal again. Other times when it seems normal, things will move really slow, like when scrolling down a screen, it takes a few seconds before it will actually happen and weird behaviour like any action taking a long time to complete. Suspect display problem or maybe hard drive dying or ram dying, or something else. Also I don't know if related to display problem, but sometimes there is a lot of clicking sounds coming from my tower, this has been going on since a year now, but it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes doesn't happen in weeks. Don't know if it is the hard disk, or power related or what. Totally confused. Other than that, there has been nothing changed in hardware or software as far as I can tell to warrant this weird behaviour. Any ideas anyone?

stevejohnson1958

Re: Display gone weird
    « Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »
    Right now...you should be concentrating on backing up any important documents and files...just in case we run across the worst case scenario...which would be a total system failure.

So...if you're able to back anything up...do so now...while you still have the opportunity.

If you're hearing a weird clicking noise from your computer...it could be several things...a fan making some noise or a hard drive problem.

How old is your computer?  Who's the manufacturer...and what model is it?  Have you tried using a different monitor to see if you're experiencing the same display issues?

As far as it taking a long time to scroll up or down...and other weird things happening...it could be caused by the hard drive...missing and/or corrupt files, etc.

Again...I'd suggest a backup of your important files...if you can, before we start any repair procedures.

BTW...does the same thing happen if you boot into Safe Mode?

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
      « Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
      your video card could be on its last  legs...

Take the cover off your computer, and use compressed air to clean it out. Make sure no fans are clogged with dirt. Next leave the cover off and power on your computer, try and determine where the clicking noise is coming from.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
        • Obituary
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:45:12 PM »
      I am waiting on the answer to... "BTW...does the same thing happen if you boot into Safe Mode"?

'SteveJohnson1958' did a good evaluation there.

You are a smart man Saviour.
      Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

sweetpea

Topic Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:00:28 AM »
        Hi again, sorry for late reply, busy busy, only now can i sit down. thanks all of you for the great suggestions.
        Yes, i will try to back up (i currently have running the Nero backitup thing, is that good enough? it backsup into drive d which is another hard disk on my computer.)
        Unfortunately because both the display problem and clicking noise problem is coming and going, the last two boots have been fine, and yes i tried booting into safe mode and that was fine too. i guess it means that something is on its way out, but what, i would say maybe 5 out of 5 times i start up my computer, it may occur, which makes it hard because if i turn off to restart in safe mode, it may be one of those times it will be okay anyway.
        No, haven't tried a different monitor. I think the computer is about 5 years old, bought from Austin Computers who assembles them, has Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.8ghz with 1.5gb ram and Intel mainboard 865 perll, i think it has a dual processor.
        i am a bit of a dummy, which brings me to my next question: what is and how do you get compressed air  ??? again, that clicking sound is as elusive as a pimple on a baby's bottom? but soon as possibly possible i will try to find it with the hood off.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 09:16:09 AM »
        You can get compressed air in a can at most office supply stores.

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:36:38 AM »
        I'm sorry, I can't resist... the title of this thread inspired me to make this one...  :P

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
        You are a smart man Saviour.

I bet if you made a poll, or asked someone else...they'd probably disagree with you... ;D

Thanks for the kind words, Robert...

All my best, friend...

-Steve

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
        quaxo...
        Where are the other pictures from that title??

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 05:13:13 PM »
        quaxo...
        Where are the other pictures from that title??

What do you mean?

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 05:41:06 PM »
        Other pictures from that "Spring Break"...bring them on.....LOL

quaxo

Guru
          • Yes
        « Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 04:09:10 AM »
        You wouldn't believe how difficult it was just to find those three monitors. I couldn't find any with clear enough pictures and all sides of the monitor in the picture as well.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread with that  :-\