Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: tested every component I can and still no luck. please help!  (Read 6328 times)

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

My build was done last year...

OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI 600W ATX12V Power Supply 

EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card 

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E4300 

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 

Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop

I first starting having problems my not power up.  I turn it off from the switch on the PS and try turingit on again and it would take a couple times before it would boot up and turn on.  then after a week of that it finally wouldn't boot up at all.  It seemed that the PS was only powering the fans, so I bought a new PS to test it out.  Unfortunatley I live in a small area and the only store was a radio shack that had a 2 power supplies, but didn't have one that had a PCI-E plug to test out my GTS video card.   I bought it anyway thinking I could use my friends video card that does not need an additional plug in from the PS.  I got my computer up and running with my buds video card and the new pwoer supply, but I was getting a long beep from the mobo which in the past has been a memory problem for me(my mobo is very finicky about how the sticks are installed)  I took 2 of the 4 sticks and it booted up fine so it seemed to be a problem with the actual slots which were the two together closest to the edge of the mobo.  Now my computer is not booting at all no matter which slots I have and its not giving me any beeps.

I have ruled out the following...

Memory - all sticks worked fine in another computer

Harddrives - same as above

Power supply (old one) - obviously doesn't work because it will not power up my hardives or video card, but the newer (test) PS does power the harddrives.  too bad because I actually spent more purposly on that component when I did my build...

Video card - I can't rule it out because I have no PS available that has PCI-E plugs.  My computer is not working with my friends working video card so I do not suspect my 8800 gts is dead.

This leaves the Mobo or the processor and the Power supply. Can anyone suggest anything else?  If I buy a new mobo can I just plug in my system drive and all my original componets that work and not have to reinstall everything?

grungebob

Re: tested every component I can and still no luck. please help!
      « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 12:53:22 PM »
      From the symptoms, my guess would be it's your power supply.  Try ordering a new one online.  Is the one you have under warranty?  If you're always using the On/Off switch on the PS itself, the switch might be failing - probably a cheapie switch, not meant to be switched many times.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

• http://www.youtube.com/theoldpath
        • Bible insights by THE MOST SENSIBLE PREACHER OF OUR TIME.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
      ....If I buy a new mobo can I just plug in my system drive and all my original componets that work and not have to reinstall everything?

Provided that you buy the same board...

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

"Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
      --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 01:47:59 PM »
        Thanks for the replys.  I am currently replacing my OCZ PSU that is under warrenty so thats cool.  Hopefully it will solve the problem

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »
        Good luck! ;D

And keep us posted! ;D
        "Most complex problems do have a solution. It is only that we don't attempt to think. So let's apply: Dont just do something, sit there."
        --Kuya Daniel Razon

Everything in this world will remind us of God, even every drop of a leaf from its stem will remind us of His glory. -Bro.Eli Soriano

jnetwon2

Starter

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 05:29:44 AM »
          Have you resolved your issue?
          So, you have been replacing components, moving components in and out?  Each time do you go into your bios to make sure that the computer has recognized the component(s).  Check to see if you have a jbat1 or a reset. If jumpered usually with a different color, like white of read, with one exposed prong and two covered.  covering the other two prongs for an instant resets  your cmos settings to factory default.  If you decide to replace your mobo you do not have to get the same exact board, just make sure that all your components are compatible.
          When you turn your computer off by the power switch in the back of the power supply instead of using the power switch on the front of the computer, you are essentially interrupting the power source not turning it off.  Its the same as a power outage. You loose unsaved data that way.  You may want to check your RETURN TO STATE AFTER POWER LOSS. 
          When you only installed 2 out of 4 memory sticks, did you install them starting with BANK 0.  Also did you remove those same 2 sticks and replace them with the other two sticks, each time checking bios/cmos to make sure they are recognized.  Sometimes it takes more than one boot to be recognized.  However, they must be recognized before you proceed.  If 2 sticks are required to make a bank then you must insert 2 sticks at a time.  I hope you are practicing safe repairs/diagnostics. Wearing a ground strap, turning the computer completely off (disconnecting power cord), discharging yourself before handling sticks, etc.
          When you switched the ram did the second pair work in those slots?.  Then you plugged all four in and it didn't work, correct?  Did you try putting the ram in the first two slots (farthest from the edge)?  Each time checking to make sure the computer recognized the memory?
          Do you have a cmos battery?

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »
            I just got my power supply back. Well, it was part of the problem because my video card fan is being powered now where as before it wasn't.  my bios is still not booting up though.  I have tried moving the memory around, but still no luck.  usually the computer/mobo beaps on start up and then bios starts loading.   all the fans and components are being powered now with the new power supply.

I do wear a anti static strap whenever messing with the insides.  I do have a reset jumper for reseting CMOS but I am unclear as to how to do it.  I have messed with jumper settings on harddrives, so I am assuming I need that plastic thing that goes over the pins in order to reset it?  The reset has 2 pins and it says I have to short them. 

I did remove the battery for 1 minute and put it back in, but no success.  It still will not boot up to bios.

Other then that I can't seem to figure out what else it could be.
            « Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 05:24:16 PM by acoustic5679 »

xavier

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 06:10:46 PM »
            If you do a self test with only mobo>1 stick or ram > video card hooked up to monitor>and power supply>prossor & heat sink installed>Then short your power switch with a small screwdriver , if you get no signal from monitor I would say it is your Motherboard, this is assuming you are sure your power supply is good?

xavier

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
            SORRY THIS TEST IS DONE OUT OF THE CASE

ThanksForHelp

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 07:45:51 PM »
              How many times and what type of beeps does the bios give?  Is it like 5 short 5 long, something like htat.  BIOS beeps is a message from the BIOS trying to tell you what's wrong.  I'm sure the more tech savvy people here can determine what the beeps mean.
              Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows Vista.

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 08:09:17 PM »
                It is not beeping at all

xavier

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 08:11:25 PM »
                If he cant see a display on monitor after the self test it is a hardware PBLM.

xavier

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 08:13:04 PM »
                Did you do the test i suggested?

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 08:56:47 PM »
                  I am sure the power supply is good.  how do I short the power supply with a screw driver?

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 05:34:58 AM »
                  Try to power-on your computer without your harddisks...
                  --Kuya Daniel Razon

xavier

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 07:58:35 AM »
                  IF you do not want to make the test out of the case , then disLEAVING connect the HD, CDROM DRIVES, FLOPPY,leaving the V card ,processor,memory & monitor hooked up. IF your power supply is good and you get no post or display you have narrowed it down to the mobo, cpu or v card.

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:03 AM »
                    I will try this when I get home.  I know the video card works.  It works in another computer.  I think I am down to the mobo or processor.  Is taking the battery on the Mobo out the same as reseting the cmos on the mobo?  My mobo doesn't have a jumper on the cmos reset.  It is just two prongs. 
                    « Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:38:54 AM by acoustic5679 »

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 08:38:35 AM »
                    I think it will reset your cmos. Once you boot it up, it will load default values.

Good luck and keep us posted! ;)
                    --Kuya Daniel Razon

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 07:52:35 PM »
                      So I tested the video card in another computer at my buddies place and I also used my new power supply on his computer as well.  So I know the power supply and video card are good.  I am thinking its probably the mobo or the processor.

jerryheavyarms

Apprentice

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 03:52:10 AM »
                      Is it still covered by warranty. If it is, better take advantage of it..
                      --Kuya Daniel Razon

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 07:54:52 AM »
                        unfortunately it is 2 months over the due date for the mobo >:(

Can anyone suggest a comparable mobo? preffereable under $300?

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »
                        Was Thermal Compound applied properly in this build ? ?
                        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

acoustic5679

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 12:39:28 PM »
                          Yes it was.