Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hooked up to T.V.  (Read 2469 times)

itaitashii

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hooked up to T.V.
    « on: May 04, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
    For the last 6 months or so, I have had my old Latitude 510/610 hooked up to my Olevia 332, 32 inch TV.  It has a resolution of 1366x768,16:9 wide screen, so I have had it on 1280x768 this whole time.  I started getting problems with the computer, so i decided to go out to the internet and see if i could update any drivers.  After installing a ""new" video driver (ATI Radeon Mobility,v.7.991-040224m-014403C-Dell, A08) I restarted, and 1280x768 is now longer a display option.  Through my TV, I am now limited to 800x600 or 1024x68... no wide screen...  I have been trying to fix it all day, and cant seem to fix it... any help would be greatly appreciated...

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

Re: Hooked up to T.V.
      « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:01:30 PM »
      have you tried a system restore to get your resolution back?

You may then try to take a different path in fixing your problem.

if you cant system restore try installing the previous driver you had.

could you post up what your "computer problems" were exactly?

the more info the better*

We may know another solution for it other than updating your driver and losing you resolution options

itaitashii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:26:18 PM »
        Every time I tried to drag files off a dvd (which i had been doing for months before i got a new laptop) it would get a "cyclic redundancy check".  It could be caused by the computer I burned the dvd with, but it has the latest drivers and all so I am not sure.  It has also had problems with a new device.  I plug my MP3 (archos 605 wifi )player into the usb, and explorer crashes.  I haven't tried a system restore yet, I should go ahead and try that now.

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:41:28 PM »
          I did a bit of reading and found this.

Give it a go.

Does your dvd work in other machines?

and is it one or many dvd's?

Quote from: http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/cyclic-redundancy.html
          The problem can be hardware (loose cables, failing drive), software or damaged media. In most cases checking and cleaning the disc is the easiest way to overcome the problem. If different clean discs produce the same error, it is likely to be a hardware issue (check the discs in another drive). Another common cause of these errors is poorly burnt CDs and DVDs - especially those that had numerous or severe buffer underuns. USB burners suffer from this problem when the burn speed is too high (generally above 4X-8X)

If the discs are damaged, you'll probably need a recovery tool to get back your data. CDCheck 3 will work for CDs and DVDs. First it will check the media, and then you have the option to recover the files. It's free for personal use and has saved many people heartache when it comes to recovering lost digital images and videos from damaged CDs.

I downloaded the cdcheck and scanned it incase of a virus but it was clean.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html

itaitashii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 11:48:47 PM »
            I have a case of 60 or so dvds.  None of them will work.  Theye get through between 5-9 of the 24-26 files off, then stops.  If I take out the dvd, and try it again, it is almost always a diferent file.  It works fine on my other laptop, an inspiron 1520, but I havent tried it in any of my other computers.  I did however try my archos in my old pc (been so long I cant remember the model) and explorer crashed on it too.

itaitashii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 11:57:10 PM »
              system restore gave me all of my resolutions back, but now it wont project it on the tv... it will disply on the laptop lcd, a clone onto the tv, but not the tv by itself

itaitashii

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:55:50 PM »
                I finally realized that VGA must use a number dividable by 8... I downloaded powerstrip and set a resolution of 1360x768.  its close enough to using the full screen, and better than what i was using before