Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: burning cd  (Read 3564 times)

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

burning cd
    « on: June 05, 2008, 06:38:48 PM »
    Recently started having problems burning a cd.  I have videos I wish to burn to a cd with the burn wizard in W XP Prof. I am to the point where they are ready to burn, but when I click on burn these files to CD the trouble starts.  You click and it tells you to put a disk in Drive D.  Well the disk is in the drive with the door shut, and
    nothing happens, it keeps telling me to put a disk in.  I am going nuts. Does anyone know what is going on??? Is it mechanical or what? The hardware is Cyber DRv CW078D DVD/CD-RW

stevejohnson1958

Re: burning cd
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:41:31 PM »
    What media re you using?  CD R...or CD R/W?

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:08:13 PM »
      the D drive is read and write, the E drive is just a read only.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »
      I mean...what type of CD are you using...a CD R, or a CD R/W?

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 08:11:18 PM »
        oh I specially went out and bought CD that are used for videos only.  Not audio or data.  So I don't know what the problem could be.  I assume they are formatted before you buy them.  Right?????

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
          I checked the CD says RW on it.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:21:56 PM »
          I'm sorry...I have to apologize.  I have been referring to CDs when you are attempting to burn videos to your DVD drive using Windows built in copier.

I went back to read the original post, again.

Unfortunately, neither Windows XP or Vista supports this.  To copy files to your DVD, you need to use another authored software program.

This software should suffice:  http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/DeepBurner/deepburner.html

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:28:16 PM »
          Also...

Are you using CDs...or DVDs...there's a big difference.

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
            thank you so much, msn support did not even come up with that
            information, wonder who they are hiring?????

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 08:40:35 PM »
              they say dvd+rw, so would it still not work??? I guess not, huh???

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 08:47:46 PM »
              Download that freeware I listed in my previous post:  DeepBurner...it's free and will do exactly what you're looking to do.

It gets high marks in my book, friend.

Keep us posted and let us know if this software is sufficient for your needs.

BTW...the DVD R/W disc will work just fine...as long as it's in the correct drive.

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »
                While I am on the subject you said XP won't handle the DVD's,the last thing I burned were very old photos of family and they were on CD's and had no
                problems, does Windows do photos?  Aren't they much like still videos ???I know that sounds like a stupid question but I had not tried burning photos in quite awhile
                so don't know if it will happen again.  At 73 this is getting a little to much so I guess
                I will try photos and see what happens, and I sure hope it won't happen again, thx
                for your help appreciate very much, will post what happens in a day or so one way
                or the other as to what happens.  Again Thx.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 09:03:06 PM »
                You're more than welcome...and I certainly think it'll work better for you.

Yes...photo images and videos are two different animals.  While XP and Vista will let you copy and paste files such as images, documents and/or data files to a CD...it's not the same as burning DVDs...or videos.

Unfortunately...with the advent of DVDs...copying and pasting and/or the dragging and dropping of video files to a DVD is not supported by either operating system.

Microsoft suggests you invest in a separate software program to handle this.

That's why I recommended that free software...DeepBurner.  It'll do exactly what you want it to...and best of all...it's FREE!

We'll keep this thread open for you...waiting for the results.

73?  That's great!  May you live 73 more...all healthy happy years!
                « Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:26:18 PM by Saviour »

verge34

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
                  thank you by the way I am a woman :D

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 09:28:21 PM »
                  That's okay...I won't hold it against you... ;D

BTW...I'm a man...hopefully, you won't hold that aginst me, either. ;D

All my best...

-Steve