Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to load Windows XP  (Read 2246 times)

Eg0Death

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Unable to load Windows XP
    « on: June 05, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
    I swapped out my Gigabyte motherboard for an Asus A8N-SLI SE to make use of dual PCI-E video cards.  During the Windows XP Setup I press F6 to load SATA drivers.  After being prompted to do so I press S to "Specify Additional Device."  I put the floppy drive created with the utility from the motherboard manufacturer into the floppy drive, press enter and -

File txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at
    line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c.

I've tried multiple floppies on different floppy drives.  I've tried the drivers from the CD included with the motherboard as well as the most recent from the manufacturer.  The manufacturer told me it was because I have 4 GB of RAM.  I removed 2 and tried again with the same results. 

The Windows installation will complete without issue if I install to a single IDE HDD. 

Asus has very slow tech support, so it will be days before I hear from them again.  I'm hoping someone has an idea. 

Custom built machine
    4 GB Mushkin PC3200
    AMD Athlon x2 4200+
    I've tried a 4 different SATA hard drives.
    Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

Eg0Death

Topic Starter

Apprentice

Re: Unable to load Windows XP
      « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »
      Asus is now telling me there is a problem with my Windows CD.  I have a hard time buying that because I did not have this issue when I set up RAID on my Gigabyte motherboard. 

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:00:56 PM »
      First thing...make sure the floppy was created correctly from the manufacturer CD.

Also...make sure BIOS is configured to boot from the SATA in question...

Keep us posted.

Eg0Death

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:12:53 PM »
        I've created the floppy from another computer using the GUI and from DOS using the FreeDOS command line utility included on the manufacturer's CD. 

The BIOS is set to boot from the SATA in question, but would that even come into play during the Windows install? 

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
        If the SATA drive is the boot device...yes.

Eg0Death

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:23:37 PM »
          I reset my BIOS values to the default and took out all but the essential hardware.

I made one adjustment at a time until my RAID 0 from the original build was
          visible in the NVIDIA Raid manager.  After it became visible again I was able to
          boot to it.  Now I'm having issues with my SLI configuration (ASUS EN8600GT x2).
           I'll poke around in other threads for relevant info.  For the record, here are the
          changes I made to my BIOS after reverting the settings to the default.

Advanced->PCIPnP->Init Display First-> [PCI-E]
          Advanced->Onboard Device Configuration->NVRAID Configuration->RAID Enable -> [Enabled]
          Advanced->Onboard Device Configuration->NVRAID Configuration->First SATA Master->
          [Enabled]
          Advanced->Onboard Device Configuration->NVRAID Configuration->Second SATA Master->
          [Enabled]

I then used the onboard NVIDIA Raid manager and restored the RAID 0.  The drives
          no longer show during the main POST but they do show up as a healthy Stripe in the
          RAID status. 

My computer is functional again (mostly) but I don't know if the initial issue
          has been resolved (txtsetup.oem error).  If it is not, I won't be able to perform
           a repair install of Windows in the future.