Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I think my registry is messed up  (Read 3605 times)

zuratai

Topic Starter

Intermediate

I think my registry is messed up
    « on: June 05, 2008, 08:52:46 PM »
    I think registry booster from uniblue has messed up my registry... certain things arent working.. is there a way to fix this and how? I have windows Xp home edition

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: I think my registry is messed up
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:16:32 PM »
    It' better to leave registry alone...too late
    What is happening? Be specific. I ran out of crystal balls.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 09:17:42 PM »
    As far as I know...all registry repair software usually come with the option to backup the registry...in case something like this happens.

They'll either ask you to perform a backup of the registry prior to fixing...or they will create a restore point.

Did you do this prior to fixing the registry...and if so...have you tried restoring the registry or performing a restore to a date prior to the problem?

zuratai

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »
      I tryed using the restore thing but nothing happens... When i turn on my computer all these erros pop up like cannot run external dll or something like that other stuff

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:15:54 PM »
      If you have made changes to the registry...and performing a restore has not resolved the issue...then you may have inadvertently damaged the registry beyond repair.

If you are stating there are several programs that will not respond anymore...you may be forced to perform a clean install.  That would be my suggestion.

WARNING!
      However, before you even attempt a clean install...and have access to all of your important files, documents, etc., etc...I would back them up prior to performing the clean install.

I'd also wait for other techs to reply to your post...before attempting a complete reinstall of the OS.

Problems with making registry changes...and not knowing exactly what it is you are changing or removing means yo may have several problems with software that may not respond as they did before.  This means you could be performing troubleshooting tasks on many programs...which, in turn, will take quite a bit of time.

Either a recovery...or re-installation of the operating system, to me...would be your best bet.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:19:30 PM »
      I'm afraid, that without exact info what is happening, we won't be able to help you. We're not there. We can't see your computer.