Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wondering if desktop computer is infected ...  (Read 3087 times)

ComputerTired

Topic Starter

Beginner

Wondering if desktop computer is infected ...
    « on: June 07, 2008, 09:22:41 AM »
    Alright, I had a problem with the whole bugs screensaver, blue/yellow warning on this desktop, but a couple months ago, it stopped after I ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.

I'm on a different computer [different than the laptop that evilfantasy helped me to fix] that I also believe is infected.

Before following the procedures in the malware removal post, our internet was just HORRIBLE on this computer. Meaning, it would not receive a signal and also, when we tried to access our homepage, it always said page cannot be displayed. With any page, it mentioned the same error message.

However, after running the scans and restarting the computer, we picked up an EXCELLENT signal and our internet is just great. That's how I'm able to type out this message. =)

Anyway, here's all the logs that you requested. I just want to cure this computer from any other infections that aren't surfacing yet or that I can't see.

=)

Thanks for the help !!

[recovering space - attachment deleted by admin]

ComputerTired

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: Wondering if desktop computer is infected ...
      « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 09:43:45 AM »
      Oh!

Forgot to mention the fact that the computer now has set restrictions on a lot of options on the computer, such as assessing the Control Panel, the remove/add programs, the desktop properties, etc. The Task Manager used to be restricted, but I found some .reg file extension from a website designed to fix this problem, saved it on the computer desktop, and it fixed after reboot. The other registry key file edit things for the control panel, add remove programs, etc, would not work; even after reboot it did not work.

Another thing is sometimes the desktop likes to freeze, and all the icons on the desktop would disappear, it the computer would be at a stand still. The only way to get out of this problem is just to turn the computer off by pressing the power button. The screen itself would not refresh, it just blanks out.
      « Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 09:55:55 AM by ComputerTired »

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 04:25:39 PM »
      I can see, you're using two antivirus programs: Avira, and McAfee. It looks like Avira is active, and McAfee used to be your antivirus.
      Please explain. One of them has to go.

ComputerTired

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:25:33 PM »
        I'll get rid of Mcafee because I recently downloaded Avira to start the malware removal process. I didn't think we had an antivirus program that was active on that computer.

Thanks for that information.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »
        I didn't think we had an antivirus program that was active on that computer.
        Not good.

Use this tool: http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html to remove McAfee.
        When done, post new HJT log.