Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Slipstreaming of Multiple Svc Packs for XP Install Disks  (Read 2136 times)

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Slipstreaming of Multiple Svc Packs for XP Install Disks
    « on: June 08, 2008, 01:39:22 PM »
    I understand that, if I wanted to reinstall XP from the original XP disk (issued before Svc Pack 1), and if my current installation included Service Pack 1, I should either uninstall Svc Pack 1, or slipstream my original disk to include Svc Pack 1.
    That seems to make sense to me - in order to prevent the reinstall being blocked by the message that a newer version of XP is on the disk.

But what if the current installation includes Svc Packs 1 - 2 & 3, and the original install disk didn't include any Svc Pack?
    Would the choice then be to either uninstall all 3 svc packs, or slipstream the original disk to include all 3 svc packs?

I suppose my question relates to whether svc packs are cumulative; i.e., can svc pack 2 be installed without svc pack 1 being installed?  Can svc pack 3 be installed without either of the first 2 svc packs?
    Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Slipstreaming of Multiple Svc Packs for XP Install Disks
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:10:07 PM »
    My advice, if you were to reinstall, would be to slipstream SP2 and SP3.  SP1 is not necessary for SP2, but SP1 or 2 is necessary for SP3.
    Alternatively install XP with no service packs and then install SP2, then SP3.
    I've never had any issues with installations being blocked because I have a newer version installed, although I always install by booting from the disk.

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 02:16:37 PM »
    Just use your original disk to reinstall and then go to microsoft update to get the service packs.
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

veritasffg

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:11:58 PM »
      Thanks to the two previous posters.  I decided not to bother with slipstreaming, and just did a clean install of XP.  I immediately checked in with Windows Update, which bypassed SP1, and went straight to SP2 to download.  No problems thus far - I'll probably get SP3 tomorrow.  I think I agree with JJ 3000 - it's probably just as easy to go get the updates as it would be to slipstream (at least on clean installs).
      Adaequatio Rei et Intellectus