Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Reformating XP  (Read 3392 times)

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

Reformating XP
    « on: June 06, 2008, 07:20:23 AM »
    I set out to reformat a XP and it seems that all was working well.  I got to the point where it was downloading XP files and while it was downloading files it was showing you the usual text about the XP and with all the positive implements it was downloading.  Then all of a sudden it stopped and gave me an error message that it had to stop to deter any damage to the computer.  If you are wanting to know about the error and what it said all I can do is recreate and put the xp disk and just wait for it to stop again and I guess right down every word.  But I will say this though it was something about the Bios but I know you will probably need some reference to start with but let me know what you want me to do.  I can not do an attachment or a screen print because all that is disabled at that point in the set up of files.

thefonz

piaaz

Rookie

Re: Reformating XP
      « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 08:07:18 AM »
      Hey thefone,

I guess you mean reinstalling rather the reformatting, am I correct ? if so please provide some detail information.......that will make the solving process much easier.

Thanks.

Cheers

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 10:34:20 AM »
        The operating sys had nine or more infections so I was reformatting not reinstalling.  Basically with the xp it is easier to reformat then a 98 but still it was experimenting but like I said I finally got to the part where I was down to the thirty minutes to go and the computer was downloading xp files so I thought all was fine and I would be finished soon!!  Then the error came up.   So what I am going to do is disconnect this computer also an XP and reconnect the older xp and just bring it up to that part where it gives me the error.

thefonz

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:06:36 AM »
        I was reformatting not reinstalling.

If you run the XP install disk and choose to go for a completely new install of XP, that is called reinstalling. I know a lot of people these days call it "reformatting". I wish they would not. There is no difference.

Are you doing something different from the above?

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »
          Here is the error as typed from the screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to the computer.

Bad__Pool_Caller

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.  If problem persists, disable or remove any newly installed hardware.  Disable Bios memory options such as cashing or shadowing.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 06:18:13 PM »
           Is this a shiny XP CD with holograms and Microsoft printed all over it ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
          Bad__Pool_Caller

BAD_POOL_CALLER is a stop error message that is caused because of problems with the memory management. The error is seen when the computer is started up and displays the blue screen of death and gives the following message: “A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer”.

Bad or loose RAM maybe.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:40:21 AM »
            Is this a shiny XP CD with holograms and Microsoft printed all over it ? ?

Yes, this XP CD came with the XP for the computer I am using.

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »
              Well, I am NOT going to buy RAM to check out that theory of my problem so I am going to chuck the old disk drive and buy a refurbished newer one if there is such a drive and try this out.

thefonz

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 09:12:17 AM »
              There's no reason to buy new RAM just to test it...DLoad and run MemTest on each module...this will tell you if they are healthy or not...let it run a few hours.
              Any errors at all and you do have a bad stick of RAM.
              Did you try re-seating it as Dias suggested above ? ?
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

thefonz

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 09:02:53 PM »
                Well, wouldn't you know it.  She just wants to get a new computer.  So, that all she wrote for these threads and I thank you guys very much for your advise.

thefonz