Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Scanner fails on one PC, works on another  (Read 2579 times)

wrinklysteve

Topic Starter

Starter

Scanner fails on one PC, works on another
    « on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:24 AM »
    Greetings.  My XP Home PC has fallen out with my Epson Perfection scanner which has been working perfectly for years in all respects.  Yesterday I was Scanning to File successfully but overnight it will now only copy but not perform any other scan action.  I have not used any other program to access the scanner. I have completely un- and re-installed it without success.  However, I installed it on another XP Home PC just now and it worked properly.

I am stumped and would welcome helpful ideas, please.

Crafty

Re: Scanner fails on one PC, works on another
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 05:23:24 AM »
    Did you also uninstall any left over folders in the program files when you uninstalled everything?

Did you reinstall the software aswell as the drivers when you reinstalled it?

wrinklysteve

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:34:24 AM »
      Hi Crafty.  No to 1st question, I uninstalled from Control Panel, Hardware.  Reinstalled selectively, Epson Scan & Epson Smart Panel from Epson CD.  I will retry thorough uninstall & try again.  Tnx

wrinklysteve

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »
        I uninstalled all Epson files using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, then deleted remaining Epson folders in ProgramFiles, then rebooted. Used setup CD to reinstall scanner and SmartPanel, rebooted, plugged in USB, let it install, and tried scanning.  Same result.  Message box, "ScantoFileApplication has encountered a problem......."
        Is this a TWAIN problem which I know nothing about?  All suggestions appreciated.

Crafty

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 06:36:51 AM »
        Did you try doing the scan by going to. Start/Programs/Epson Scan/Customize/File Save Settings. Then choosing the file you want in the drop down menu. Also choose another location to save the file to instead the one that is selected now.

Also try a different usb port to connect the scanner to. Let us know how you go on!!
        « Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:52:37 AM by Crafty »

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 06:45:42 AM »
        wrinklysteve...

If Crafty's suggestion does not work, try below...

What's the model number of your Epson Perfection Series scanner?

Have you tried going to Epson's site to download and install the latest software and/or drivers for this scanner?

Try this link:  Perfection Series

Select your scanner...then select your operating system.  You'll be presented with a list of drivers, software, manuals, etc.

Reinstall the software...as you previously did.  Then download and run the twain driver and scan utility from Epson.  Save it to your desktop.

This self-extracting file contains the EPSON Scan Utility and TWAIN Driver for Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit Editions. This file self-extracts to your hard drive and is placed in a folder that begins with C:\EPSON\epson...

You will then need to update the driver...

Hopefully this will help...keep us posted.

wrinklysteve

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 07:11:59 AM »
          All your suggestions very welcome - however I have fluked it.  Tried System Restore to yesterday's Checkpoint; scanner then not recognised so reinstalled from setup CD and hola! it scans to disk.
          I had previously tried different USB ports and running from Start Programs etc to no effect.
          Another clue I followed was a ESCNDV.EXE error message that Googled me to Tom's hardware forum where there is another comprehensive suggestion for a cure which includes Saviour's download suggestion.
          Very mnay thanks, both, this one can hopefully close ......... until the next time.
          Cheers.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 07:14:03 AM »
          Glad you got it worked out...

All the best...

-Steve