Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: auto restart after splash screen  (Read 2405 times)

buddyclm

Topic Starter

Beginner

auto restart after splash screen
    « on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
    I am working on a computer for a friend. The computer is a Compaq Presario 5300NX. They thought the mother board was bad so they put in a new motherboard and used their existing processor, RAM, etc. When the computer is turned on, it shows the splash screen, then right before it should begin to show the desktop, it flashes a blue screen for a split second and then restarts the computer. The computer will not go into safe mode, when that option is selected after pressing F8 during boot, it begins to try to load, but never loads the desktop, right before it should, it restarts. I have ran chkdsk /r , fixboot, fixmbr, and repaired Windows XP. After the repair, It loaded to the point of being able to pick which user to log in to windows. I picked one and it loaded the wallpaper and froze. Then i booted into safe mode successfully, but it was extremely slow (took almost 10 minutes). Then it was back to the way it was when they brought me their computer. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

piaaz

Rookie

Re: auto restart after splash screen
      « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »
      Unfortunately that is a normal condition when you change the motherboard in on Windows XP :) You need to do a windows repair. The system is trying to run the new hardware with the old drivers. Insert your windows xp disc, boot from it, hit enter at the first prompt, then the installer should see you installation, hit R to repair the windows XP installation.
      Here is some more help from MS:
      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

buddyclm

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
        I have already done that.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 02:08:50 PM »
        And ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

buddyclm

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
          It was done before my inital post, and it didn't change anything.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 08:46:44 AM »
          Have you re-installed the motherboard drivers ? ?
          They will be on the Driver CD that shipped with the machine...
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

buddyclm

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 09:03:13 AM »
            I installed them in safe mode.  I now have the computer to where it will boot into Windows, it just takes a very long time to do anything.  It takes abou 5 minutes to load the desktop and icons after selecting a user.  Once that finally loads, it is still extremely slow.  I looked in the system properties and there is no hardware with a yellow exclamation mark or anything next to them.