Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer freezes after loading Win98SE  (Read 2026 times)

turing

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Computer freezes after loading Win98SE
    « on: June 09, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »
    I had occasion to go into the bios but forgot the pw. So, when the computer asked for the password, I just shut the unit off (pulled the plug). Now, when stating up, everything loads in, including Windows 98 but as soon as all the icons appear on the screen, the mouse freezes and that is pretty much the end of the story. Currently using AVG that scans for viruses at startup and this works as it should. The machine boots up in safe mode and the mouse works there; are there any programs I should remove?
    Thanks  ???

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer freezes after loading Win98SE
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »
    Although we generally don't aid in password cracking, you can search on line to find how to deal with CMOS and BIOS settings, to aid you in resetting the computer so that Win98 boots.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

buttercups38c

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »
      Thank you. However, just to set the record straight, I am not cracking. It is my own computer that I set the pw many years ago and lost it.  :)

Crafty

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:58:21 PM »
      If it boots up in safe mode and runs ok then it is a driver or application problem. Chances are you have corrupted something in windows - Reinstall windows!!
      « Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:29:40 PM by Crafty »