Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor/Mobo compatability  (Read 2250 times)

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

Processor/Mobo compatability
    « on: June 11, 2008, 01:52:43 PM »
    I was wondering if anybody knows how to find what motherboard your using.  I'm trying to figure out if I can use a quad core amd processor without having to upgrade motherboards.  I ran a belarc advisor scan thing and it says my board is:NF-MCP61.  I tried a google search and a tigerdirect search but couldnt really find anything on it.  was wondering if anybody could tell me a different way to find out what motherboard I'm using or if it'll be able to use the socket am2+.  I'm using a dual core one right now so it's only socket am2.
    I opened my computer and all I saw was geforce 6100sm-mv and it's an egs motherboard.
    « Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:08:20 PM by ThanksForHelp »
    Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows Vista.

hmar

Beginner

Re: Processor/Mobo compatability
      « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 02:09:52 PM »
      download and run SIW from www.gtopala.com. It will tell you just about everything you need to know about your system, Also, what CPU are you using now?
      « Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 02:26:48 PM by hmar »

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:15:08 PM »
        Right now I'm using an amd athlon 64 x2 5200+.  My old one was an amd athlon x2 6000+ but it got taken out by a power supply.
        EDIT: I tried to run the diagnostic thing but vista isn't letting me.  I tried turning off my firewall and I have administrator rights but it's not working.

hmar

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 02:30:21 PM »

ThanksForHelp

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 02:35:32 PM »
            ok so it will work but use the hypertransport 2.0 instead of 3.0. Does this make a significant difference if I were to be using this cpu, I guess what I'm trying to ask is would it be worth it to buy a quadcore processor if I'm only using hypertransport2.0?  The processor I was looking into is the AMD Phenom Quad Core 9600 2.3 GHZ AM2+ Black Ed CPU