Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer monitor check signal.  (Read 2318 times)

mozen

Topic Starter

Computer monitor check signal.
    « on: June 10, 2008, 11:17:56 PM »
    I recently tried to boot my computer, but instead the monitor showed a check signal sign with the three colors.  After reading I figured out it was the monitor's self test. 
    I've switched systems and my monitor works fine, so I figure it's not the monitor or cable.  I reinserted the video card and it didn't work.  I bought another video card (an upgrade for me anyway) and it still doesn't work. 
    Is it the motherboard? Powersupply?
    I don't know if this helps but when I boot the computer all the fans start to run.

I've had this computer for two years now.
    CPU : AMD 64 x2 4200 Manchester 2.2ghz
    MotherBoard : ASUS A8N-E Socket 939
    Old Vid Card: EVGA 256-P2 N564-AX GeForce 7900GT 256Mb PCI Express x16
    New Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB PCI Express x16
    Monitor : Samsung SyncMaster 204b

Note: When I push the adjust button on the monitor it switches back from analog to digital a bunch of times then the screen turns black.

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer monitor check signal.
    « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 01:25:25 AM »
    Were you able to try the video cards in a different computer?  (I know that's not always easy to do.)  I shouldn't wonder if the PCI Express slot went out.  Not likely, but possible, I guess.

Having spouted all that, I must ask if you know if the most updated drivers for the video cards were installed?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

mozen

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 02:30:10 AM »
      No luck with switching the video cards out, my other system has a different slot type.
      When I inserted the new vid card I didn't update the drivers, cuz I figured it would at least show up on the monitor.
      Even though the drivers arn't updated, shouldn't i see something other than the self test on the monitor?

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 09:52:57 AM »
      Agreed.  You should get basic video function.  I was just looking for another way to test the cards themselves, while I stated the idea that the express slot on the system board is/went bad.  Being able to slot the cards into another computer would help. 

It occurs to me to ask if your computer has on-board video you might try as an option?

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:21:26 AM »
      Depending on the card you might get a VGA output or no output at all without drivers.
      Didn't the card come with a driver CD ? ?

Don't rely on Windows to update drivers...especially video drivers.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Niorju

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »
        i think your vga slot got a problem.you should try your vga card to other pc if it works fine then its your board got a problem