Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: random lock up  (Read 2840 times)

Michael Klinedinst

random lock up
« on: February 13, 2005, 05:19:08 PM »
ok,i would like to ask this again,ive got a two year old gateway with windows ME ,it was give to me because it just locks up at any time.  So i was thinking it was the hard drive at fault,so i bought a new hard drive and installed it,and after almost two days of rebooting just to get ME to install,and running systems checks in dos,(which everything passed)this dam thing still locks up ,ive got to reboot 5 or more times just to get it to run in safe mode, just for in to lock up after running for a few minutes  

I put in a new hard drive ,wd 80 gb,8mb buffer,and a new 256 mb pc133 memory card,????what gives what can i do or look for to fix this short of a new mother board??

cjkgmgod

Re: random lock up
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 05:26:46 AM »
When you get into Safe Mode got to run and type Command and type scanreg/restore

Michael Klinedinst

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 03:52:27 PM »
Thanks for the help,but that didnt solve the problem,guess its off to the big computer heaven for this one. :-[

cjkgmgod

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 12:25:12 PM »
When you get into safe mode, try locating the c:\windows\options\cabs folder scroll down the page next to the scanreg icon is ONE called setup click that.. It should reinstall the system defaults and you shouldnt lose any files.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 12:35:43 PM »
Disconnect CDROM and see what happens.
Remove any plug-in cards, one at a time, and see what happens.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 01:27:57 PM »
Thanks for the help,but that didnt solve the problem,guess its off to the big computer heaven for this one. :-[

Think positive!  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]