Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Newly installed CPU not running at full speed  (Read 5789 times)

trini

Topic Starter

Starter

Newly installed CPU not running at full speed
    « on: June 14, 2008, 05:31:51 AM »
    I have installed a new Pentium M 1.7 GHz (Banias) in my Toshiba Tecra A2 laptop but even under full load while connected to ac power, the speed is limited to 598 MHz. How can I get the cpu to run at full speed?

It is a Toshiba Tecra A2. It originally had a Celeron M 1.4 GHz, but I've installed a Pentium M 1.7 GHz (of the Banias variety). I also have a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3. I have the latest BIOS installed.

Alot of what I have read on forums is about the power management and Intel's SpeedStep technology. However, I do not believe this is the problem as even when I am connected to ac power, while the cpu is under full load, the speed is not increasing, (I have monitored this using CPU-Z); it will not increase more than 600 MHz.

In the power options (control panel) it always defaults to "speedswitch control" even after I try to delete the profile. I have tried changing it to "always on", but this does not seem to make any difference.

My gut feel is that the cpu is deliberatly restricting its performance to some "safe mode". Is there some way of correcting this?

Let me know if you need any more info. Many thanks!

homer

Expert
      Re: Newly installed CPU not running at full speed
      « Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 11:24:34 AM »
      (I have monitored this using CPU-Z); it will not increase more than 600 MHz.

are you looking at the FSB speed or the core speed?

trini

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 01:32:58 PM »
        Thats the core speed. The bus speed is only at 100 MHz but rated at 400 MHz.

I had another suggestion of changing the voltage in the bios. How could I do this?

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
          increasing the voltage will not increase speed. are you sure your laptop is compatible with that processor? can your laptop support the CPU's rated FSB?

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 02:48:28 PM »
          i think what this is is that it runs at that speed to save battery or something and there are drivers you need to update or something

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
          Guesswork.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

trini

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
            in the user manual it gives the list of cpu's available as options and this one that i have got is one of them. so this makes me think that my laptop (and bios) should be able to recognise the new cpu. maybe there is a setting in the bios i could change?

another idea...cpu-z says the multiplier is 6, while this link ( http://www.chiplist.com/Intel_Pentium_M_processor_Banias_Standard_Voltage/tree3f-subsection--2192-/ ) says it should be 17?

cpu-z also says i'm running at minimum volts 0.956 V which made me think higher volts = higher clock speed.

llmeyer1000

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 07:18:28 PM »
              in the user manual it gives the list of cpu's available as options and this one that i have got is one of them. so this makes me think that my laptop (and bios) should be able to recognise the new cpu. maybe there is a setting in the bios i could change?

another idea...cpu-z says the multiplier is 6, while this link ( http://www.chiplist.com/Intel_Pentium_M_processor_Banias_Standard_Voltage/tree3f-subsection--2192-/ ) says it should be 17?

cpu-z also says i'm running at minimum volts 0.956 V which made me think higher volts = higher clock speed.

Do not increase the CPU voltage above the MFG recommended settings unless you want to fry the CPU. The problem is the multiplier!

100*6 = 600       That's pretty close to the 598 MHz that you said you are getting.
              100*17 = 1700    Do the math!  ;) You need to change the multiplier, not the voltage.

Some desktop motherboards had jumpers that you needed to set. Some motherboards autodetect the processor speed. It may well be a user bios setting that needs to be changed also. Without doing a lot of research, I cannot tell you how to change the multiplier on your system.

You have the manual. That should tell you how to set the multiplier.  :)

trini

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 06:07:35 PM »
                Unfortunately the Toshiba manual is useless!

I have tried both Notebook Hardware Control and RM CPU Clock utility but neither are working. I don't really understand these programs...by changing the multiplier am I essentially overclocking the processor? Anyway, it didn't work...or I just didn't know how to work it!

I did find this thread ( http://www.notebookforums.com/thread132296-2.html ) where the guy had similiar issues with the processor stuck at 598 MHz. What worked for him was this program ( http://home.kc.rr.com/aitf311/tutorial.zip ) but I have no idea if it would work for my Tecra A2. The downloaded file says it is for the Portege M200 and M205. Its all about creating a bootable CD (or floppy) and then booting from CD. If this is the apparaent solution, then I'm guessing software overclockers (such as those above) will not work? Could anything bad happen if I boot from the CD and it doesn't work?

I have also come across this HUGE thread (48 pages!) http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/showthread.php?t=31&page=17 where this page has the solution for a Dothan cpu. Any ideas if it would work for a Banias?

Your help much needed (and appreciated!)