Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Going back to XP.....need advise  (Read 7323 times)

arunpedhak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Going back to XP.....need advise
    « on: December 05, 2015, 01:53:32 PM »
    Hi,

I have an old Acer celeron laptop  Celeron 530 @ 1.73 GHz, 80 GB HDD and 1.5 GB RAM originally installed with Vista

I felt the vista OS is heavy load for this system as the system response time is very slow, I decided to install Win 7 and went with it
    Post Win 7 installation, I do not see much improvement (may be I did not do clean installation??), also my DVD drive stopped playing.

I now decided to go back to Win XP since my dvd driver is not working, I have made usb drive installation but unfortunately I am getting below error message (since my boot.ini is not correct???!!!) can you please let me know what should my boot.ini entry please

i have attached my disk info

here goes my boot.ini

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=30
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS
    [Operating Systems]
    C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Going back to XP.....need advise
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »
    You need to DLoad and install ALL drivers for that PC for XP...Chipset 1st...then re-boot...then all others.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »
    If you want to install XP clean, your boot.ini would get set to XP boot only. Are you setting up dual-boot choice for XP or Windows 7?

arunpedhak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:49:27 AM »
      You need to DLoad and install ALL drivers for that PC for XP...Chipset 1st...then re-boot...then all others.

Thanks Patio for the reply

Sorry little new to this,  so I have to install xp then chipset and all other drivers?

arunpedhak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 06:50:20 AM »
        If you want to install XP clean, your boot.ini would get set to XP boot only. Are you setting up dual-boot choice for XP or Windows 7?

Thanks. Yes I want a clean install and only XP not dual.
        can you help me with the steps/instructions please

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 08:24:36 AM »
        If the computer originally came with Vista, you may not be able to get XP drivers for it.  Have you checked the mfrs website to see if XP drivers are available for it?

One problem with newer computers trying to run XP is that the OS does not have any SATA controller drivers built-in so if the Acer uses a SATA drive you will need to find a XP driver for it and load it from a floppy disk.  Either that or you will need to slipstream the SATA driver onto the XP install CD. 

arunpedhak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 08:54:27 AM »
          If the computer originally came with Vista, you may not be able to get XP drivers for it.  Have you checked the mfrs website to see if XP drivers are available for it?

One problem with newer computers trying to run XP is that the OS does not have any SATA controller drivers built-in so if the Acer uses a SATA drive you will need to find a XP driver for it and load it from a floppy disk.  Either that or you will need to slipstream the SATA driver onto the XP install CD.

Thanks Strollin, I got the drivers link below, will this help?

http://www.laptop-software.com/acer-software/acer-aspire-5315-windows-xp-drivers/

strollin

Adviser
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »

Thanks Strollin, I got the drivers link below, will this help?

http://www.laptop-software.com/acer-software/acer-aspire-5315-windows-xp-drivers/
          Yes, it looks like they have the drivers you need.  You will need to set the SATA controller type in the BIOS to IDE in order to install XP on that drive.  Either that or, if you wish for it to use AHCI, you will need to add the SATA controller driver to the XP install disk using a process called slipstreaming.  http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite.  The only other way to add the SATA driver is via a floppy disk in drive A: (XP is stupid that way).  Unfortunately, that computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive.

It's easiest to use IDE mode but you will give up some performance.

arunpedhak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 03:46:10 PM »
            Yes, it looks like they have the drivers you need.  You will need to set the SATA controller type in the BIOS to IDE in order to install XP on that drive.  Either that or, if you wish for it to use AHCI, you will need to add the SATA controller driver to the XP install disk using a process called slipstreaming.  http://www.wikihow.com/Slipstream-Your-SATA-Drivers-Into-a-Windows-XP-Installation-CD-Using-nLite.  The only other way to add the SATA driver is via a floppy disk in drive A: (XP is stupid that way).  Unfortunately, that computer doesn't have a floppy disk drive.

It's easiest to use IDE mode but you will give up some performance.

Thanks, can you shed some light on my boot.ini issue

when I try to install via USB drive (since my DVD drive stopped working), I get the below error message - i believe this is related to the entry in boot.ini

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
            <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
            Please re-install a copy of the above file

Also my disk info attached

here goes my boot.ini

[Boot Loader]
            Timeout=30
            Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS
            [Operating Systems]
            C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect
            C:\ = "---> DEBUG, in case of HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors <---"
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect
            multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 05:01:11 PM »
            Where is this XP from ? ?...and how did you build the USB stik >? ?
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

arunpedhak

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
              Where is this XP from ? ?...and how did you build the USB stik >? ?

used wintoflash